Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Special Edition Tudor Blackbay

I think it looks awesome. Shame there is only one.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Blog Entries
    I hate it.

The fake yellow lume is the first turn off. Immediately, that bothers me. Bothered me too on the SM300 release.

The next is the endlinks. I get that it's a reference to the original, but it looks cheap and lazy.

The third took me a little longer to figure out, but it bothered me. It's the fact that without the snowflake hand and the colored bezel, the Black Bay loses its charm and whimsy, blending into the crowd and becoming just another black dialed diver.

Thumbs down from me.

3. Likes OhDark30, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I hate it.

The fake yellow lume is the first turn off. Immediately, that bothers me. Bothered me too on the SM300 release.

The next is the endlinks. I get that it's a reference to the original, but it looks cheap and lazy.

The third took me a little longer to figure out, but it bothered me. It's the fact that without the snowflake hand and the colored bezel, the Black Bay loses its charm and whimsy, blending into the crowd and becoming just another black dialed diver.

Thumbs down from me.

That watch is amazing. I mean I'd rather have the original but that one is amazing.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

5. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    I think it looks awesome. Shame there is only one.
    I will never understand why a company will limit themselves artificially to making a limited edition or a unique piece with no plans to ever make another. Sure it creates buzz around the company, but in the end, a watch like this will only encourage the homage makers to recreate the design in a more affordable package and thus dilute the value of the original design.

7. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    From another viewpoint, I'd say they finally got the hands right on the Black Bay. The snowflake hands were most commonly used with square markers, which made the hands and markers somewhat consistent in shape and style.

When they came out with the Black Bay, they mixed the round markers with the squared off snowflake hand, which don't harmonize with one another. They may have based the design on past watches, but when they used incongruous bits and pieces from multiple watches, they only succeeded in making a Frankenwatch. I feel they tried to hard to use the snowflake hands coupled with the earlier Submariner style markers.

The hands on this unique piece match the markers are much more appropriate.

9. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I don't see have a gap in between the lugs with a bracelet is all that attractive. Not the same for me with those boring hands. The snowflake hands is one of the things I love about the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I will never understand why a company will limit themselves artificially to making a limited edition or a unique piece with no plans to ever make another. Sure it creates buzz around the company, but in the end, a watch like this will only encourage the homage makers to recreate the design in a more affordable package and thus dilute the value of the original design.
    I have thought about building a homage to an early Tudor sub so many times it isn't even funny.

Particularly the Model 7923 which was the only handwind sub.

Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I have thought about building a homage to an early Tudor sub so many times it isn't even funny.

Particularly the Model 7923 which was the only handwind sub.

Now a handwind Sub would be fantastic! I'm usually not a fan of screw down crowns on hand wound watches, but I'd make an exception for that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post

That watch is amazing. I mean I'd rather have the original but that one is amazing.
    I don't get the point of buying a brand new watch with lume that looks like bad teeth.

14. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    From another viewpoint, I'd say they finally got the hands right on the Black Bay. The snowflake hands were most commonly used with square markers, which made the hands and markers somewhat consistent in shape and style.

When they came out with the Black Bay, they mixed the round markers with the squared off snowflake hand, which don't harmonize with one another. They may have based the design on past watches, but when they used incongruous bits and pieces from multiple watches, they only succeeded in making a Frankenwatch. I feel they tried to hard to use the snowflake hands coupled with the earlier Submariner style markers. The hands on this unique piece match the markers are much more appropriate.
    Exactly. I agree completely.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

16. Likes FuzzyB liked this post