Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuckoos. Clocks, that is.

Cuckoos. Clocks, that is.

So, in Boston for my son's college orientation, and came upon this little exhibit:

They had some pretty traditional ones, like this:

But also some pretty cool ones like this:

Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and one more.

3. Likes popoki nui, JAGtime, synequano liked this post
    Those are wonderful!
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

5. Likes mlcor, JAGtime liked this post
    Very cool! It looks like it would be a fun exhibit.

My only question: why is it 24 hours in the life of a Swiss cuckoo clock? When I think of a cuckoo clock, I think of the German Black Forest cuckoo clocks. Did they originate in Switzerland?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Very cool! It looks like it would be a fun exhibit.

My only question: why is it 24 hours in the life of a Swiss cuckoo clock? When I think of a cuckoo clock, I think of the German Black Forest cuckoo clocks. Did they originate in Switzerland?
    Absolutely no idea.

Pretty cool and creative.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

9. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    The Third Man is my reference:

Harry Lime:

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."

11. Likes mlcor, Der Amf, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The Third Man is my reference:

Harry Lime:

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."
    That works for me. I tried a quick search and there was an early reference to cuckoo clocks before they started making them in the Black Forest, so it must have originated somewhere else first.

I continue to search for recommendations on WHERE (in the Black Forest) to shop for a (modest) cuckoo. Visiting Baden-Baden in September - willing to hop a train for a day trip.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    I continue to search for recommendations on WHERE (in the Black Forest) to shop for a (modest) cuckoo. Visiting Baden-Baden in September - willing to hop a train for a day trip.
    It's been almost 10 years since I was in Germany, but I remember there being no shortage of options for shops that sell cuckoo clocks. I took my parents on that trip and it was their mission to buy one. After visiting a few different shops, it was pretty clear where to find a decent price. They ended up getting a decent discount on it and still love it. I believe they ended up buying it in Munich.