Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 93EXCivic's mod thread

93EXCivic's mod thread

So I am going to use this thread to document various builds that I have done/ am doing.

My first mod I did was on a cheap $12 Soki mechanical from ebay. I replaced the dial with a 3-6-9 from Raffles, the hands aged with coffee, the case brushed with Scotchbrite, cyclops removed and bezel insert faded in bleach.

Second one was a 44mm Pilot style watch. I got the Seagull 6497, hands and dial off the parts for sale forum at the other place and the PVD coated case from Manbush...

The third one was a Luch one hander with the chrome removed from the brass and the crystal replaced with plexi.

The fourth one, a Jackson 44mm Luminor homage case engraved by vilts, eBay Cali dial turned down to fit, Getat blue hands, Sternkreuz HWS plexi and skeleton Seagull 6497. This one was built for a very good friend who has been thru a rough time recently.

Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 1, 2015 at 01:59 AM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

2. Likes Martin, HKEd liked this post

93EXCivic's mod thread

So one of my mods I am working on now is a 45mm homage to a vintage Panerai 3646.

The case I am starting with is a 45mm Radi style case from Jackson Tse.

The difference between a modern style case and a vintage style case can be seen below.

So quite a bit of reshaping will be needed to get the shape closer.

Also the lugs are soldered on instead of using the screw down method on modern cases and there is soldering around the crown tube.

Name:  TheReferences-3646TypeF.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  138.2 KB

The idea is to end up with the case shape and plexi like the one below.

And an aged creme dial like a 6154.

Today I made a couple parts on the 3D printer to create a little jig to press the bezel out.

The case was a rose gold case that I had laying around so if I mess it up it isn't the end of the world.

Start of case reshaping and the dial that is going to be used can be seen in the picture as well. Looks like crap right now while I am roughing out the shape with a file.

Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 1, 2015 at 03:19 AM.

4. Likes BlackNomad liked this post
    The other on going mod is a 40mm Luminor homage. This one is going to be getting the case polished, a handwound ETA movement, a custom dial and a custom engraved caseback.

I am currently sterilizing the case back before it goes to the engraver.

Custom dial on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 1, 2015 at 02:35 AM.

6. Likes BlackNomad liked this post
    I'm curious about how you brassed the Luch. I'm thinking about getting one of these and love your brass one far more than the chromed versions.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I'm curious about how you brassed the Luch. I'm thinking about getting one of these and love your brass one far more than the chromed versions.

-hayday
    I took apart and dropped the case in Hydrochloric acid. Chrome came right off.

I wear it quite a bit after I modded it.

Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 27, 2015 at 12:52 PM.

9. Likes hayday liked this post

Finished this one today. Getat 1:1 case, Asian 6497, custom printed dial, Jackson hour and minute hand, Athaya long tube second hand, relumed dial and hands with stealth blue lume.

It isn't perfect. There is a little bubble in the lume in the hour hand and I had to touch up the dial when I damaged it a bit.

11. Likes Martin liked this post