Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos....tattoos everywhere!!!!

Tattoos....tattoos everywhere!!!!

I went out into Brighton with mrs wmw yesterday evening to celebrate her graduation from college. At one point in the evening we were sat in a pub garden having a drink. I'd estimate there were 100 people in the garden, the vast majority in their late teens or early 20s. I'd say that at least 75% of them had visible tattoos.

When I was my son's age (in 1980) there was basically one type of person in England who had tattoos - sailors. Now they are EVERYWHERE, most commonly in the age group I've mentioned above. When I had a team day with my team a few weeks ago almost 50% of the people in the room had one.
    Now I have no problem at all with tattoos, I think many of them look cool and some are downright beautiful, but I'd never have one myself because of the permanence. I know we have a number of members here with tatts and I'm certainly not suggesting that they're wrong to have them.
    What I do find slightly alarming is the idea of pretty much a whole generation taking what I consider to be quite a drastic and long lasting choice about their personal appearance.
    What's also kind of interesting is the fact that something that is supposed to be a symbol of difference seems to have become the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I went out into Brighton with mrs wmw yesterday evening to celebrate her graduation from college. At one point in the evening we were sat in a pub garden having a drink. I'd estimate there were 100 people in the garden, the vast majority in their late teens or early 20s. I'd say that at least 75% of them had visible tattoos.

When I was my son's age (in 1980) there was basically one type of person in England who had tattoos - sailors. Now they are EVERYWHERE, most commonly in the age group I've mentioned above. When I had a team day with my team a few weeks ago almost 50% of the people in the room had one.
    Now I have no problem at all with tattoos, I think many of them look cool and some are downright beautiful, but I'd never have one myself because of the permanence. I know we have a number of members here with tatts and I'm certainly not suggesting that they're wrong to have them.
    What I do find slightly alarming is the idea of pretty much a whole generation taking what I consider to be quite a drastic and long lasting choice about their personal appearance.
    What's also kind of interesting is the fact that something that is supposed to be a symbol of difference seems to have become the norm.
    Ageing is doing drastic and long-lasting things to your appearance too, by getting tattooed you're taking some control.

Presumably there's plenty of difference to be found within the content of the tattoo?

3. Likes CanadianStraps, I-B liked this post
    More I than S underwatermechanic's Avatar
    Well I have tattoos......

Oh wait I am a sailor lol

5. Likes Der Amf, OhDark30, scottjc, bolaberlim liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Ageing is doing drastic and long-lasting things to your appearance too, by getting tattooed you're taking some control.

Presumably there's plenty of difference to be found within the content of the tattoo?
    I kind of get the control thing...
    God knows what I'd be carrying around on my skin if I'd got tattooed at 20 though. I remember around that time seeing a photo in a tattooist's window of a full back tattoo they'd done of the Predator. It was very artfully done... But you'd have to really love that movie to want that for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by underwatermechanic View Post
    Well I have tattoos......

Oh wait I am a sailor lol
    I rest my case

One tattoo I thought the world could have lived without was the american guy who had a verse from Leviticus tattooed on his arm about homosexuality being verboten - he clearly hadn't read onto the next chapter that declares tattooes equally impermissible

9. Likes whatmeworry, Raza, FuzzyB, JAGtime, BlackNomad liked this post
    More I than S underwatermechanic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    One tattoo I thought the world could have lived without was the american guy who had a verse from Leviticus tattooed on his arm about homosexuality being verboten - he clearly hadn't read onto the next chapter that declares tattooes equally impermissible
    I did once toy with having that verse "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourself " tattooed on me but it was a passing fancy

11. Likes whatmeworry, Der Amf liked this post
    well I got four British bulldog right shoulder welsh dragon left should a Japanese strength through adversity on my chest ( or it could be an order of chicken ball and sauce for all I know)

and a ying and yang on the back in fire and ice I design for myself and made sure I took all copies of it when finished

both the dragon and the British bulldog I alter to my specs so apart from the strength through adversity one. there one off's so yes it does seem to be the norm now for people to get tat's oh they are cool we hear people say and in some yes and then there are some really silly one's out there but mine was through choice and was well thought out one's that I have had for over the last twenty years
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

13. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by underwatermechanic View Post
    I did once toy with having that verse "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourself " tattooed on me but it was a passing fancy
    yes these was quotes associated with satanic rituals not to do with body art to complete different things
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

One theory/justification I heard was - 'It's the only thing you can buy and take with you when you die'..

I have a signal tattoo on my left upper that seemed pretty cool when I had it done at 17..yikes..they fail to inspire when you see them on aging bodies..but each to their own

16. Likes I-B liked this post