Likes Likes:  114
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet to own

Yet to own

It's simple name five watch brands you never owned but would like too someday.

These are my top five right now

1. JLC - I always admired the Reverso. I came very close to purchasing one several times. I also love the Ultra Thin Moon.

2. Laco - I feel Laco makes some great pilot style watches for a great price. The Topper edition is beautiful. I should of jumped on that one.

3. A. Lange & Sohne - What can I say about this brand. Simply stunning. Not something I would buy soon but maybe for my 50th birthday.

4. Sinn - I like the brand but worry most of their watches are on the thick side. I am very fond of the 104.

5. H. Moser & Cie - I like what the brand is doing. Very colorful dials and a brand that don't take themselves seriously.

Honarable mention - Patek Phillipe - One of these days I would like to get a Aquanaut.

What about you?
    Last edited by Cybotron; Apr 17, 2020 at 03:53 PM.
    Cheers,

Richard

2. Likes rodia77, skywatch liked this post
    1. Rolex
    2. JLC
    3. Grand Seiko
    4. Patek
    5. Vacheron

There's more of course

4. Likes rodia77, skywatch, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    1. Rolex
    2. JLC
    3. Grand Seiko
    4. Patek
    5. Vacheron

There's more of course
    Can't argue with that. I forgot Patek myself. I'm gonna need a bigger wallet for that though.
    Cheers,

Richard

6. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    In order of the likelihood of actually purchasing...

1. Glashutte Original
    2. JLC
    3. Nienaber
    4. Blancpain
    5. Vacheron

8. Likes Cybotron, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Oh, this is fun.

Jaeger-LeCoultre: I am not a big fan of many of their watches, but I admire the Reverso from afar and would really like to try it. They have such respect in the industry and among collectors, I’m very interested in getting one. Which is strange, because if you look at it, it’s got a lot of things I’m not usually into. Arabic numerals all the way around, dial textures, possibly way too small (though some Duoface models are a bit larger, they’re so much more expensive)

Panerai: Another brand where I’m not a huge fan of them overall, but there’s one watch that really appeals to me, and that’s the Radiomir 655. Someone here has or had one and it enthralled me from the first time I saw it. It also seems to be unloved by the Paneristi, which appeals even more. It’s another one that has some features I generally don’t like, like Arabics all the way around and numerals of various sizes, but the overall package has me howling and slamming my foot on the floor like a cartoon wolf.

Audemars Piguet: Unlike the others, this is a brand I do like that has a lot of watches that appeal to me, but it’s budget that keeps me away. However, like the others, it has things I generally do not like, such as a textured dial and integrated bracelet. But I would absolutely happily wear a Royal Oak Chronograph.

Carl F. Bucherer: Unlike the others, there isn’t just one or two models that appeal, but rather almost every time I see a Bucherer I’m interested, especially when it’s one of their chronographs. Plus, it’s clearly the watch to wear when seeking bloody revenge.

IWC: Again, we have a brand that makes a lot of watches that just make me snooze, or other ones that just make me scratch my head as to why they’re so expensive (such as their Pilot watches), but it’s a brand with so much respect, I feel like I really want to own one to see if I can see what others see in them. I don’t have a specific watch in mind, but I do take gifts, so if you’d like to get me one to try out, I’d happily accept it. Like the Spitfire below, why does it have a date on an otherwise gorgeous watch? And why is it $4,500 on a NATO!? If that were no date and $3,000, we could start having a conversation about buying one.

Last edited by Raza; Apr 17, 2020 at 01:55 PM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

10. Likes rodia77, Cybotron, OhDark30, skywatch, CFR, gnuyork liked this post
    Fun topic.

In no particular order:
    - Mido (I like the 'aura' of the brand, and I almost got an Ocean Star Captain as my first serious automatic watch 10 years ago)
    - Orient Star (they haven't come up with the right style/function combo for me yet)
    - Longines (hadn't it been for their bloody 30m WR on every model I liked...)
    - Breguet (they blow me away from behind display glasses every time I see them - I never even had the need to handle them in person; that said, I don't think such a purchase is ever going to happen: 1. the price, and 2. I don't think they have a model I would wear /but own, yes, any/)
    - Ebel (always liked their characteristic case designs and they generally appeal to me; only once seriously browsed with a possible purchase in mind; their pricepoint is difficult -- not sky-high, but I'd kinda have to have a good justification)
    Last edited by rodia77; Apr 17, 2020 at 02:39 PM. Reason: elaborated a little

12. Likes Cybotron, skywatch liked this post
    Breguet. A name with unparalleled historical and technical resonance. I think of Breguet and watchmaking like I think of JS Bach and music. Engineering and innovation aside, the Breguet style is immortal and you can buy it today. Wonderful.

FP Journe. Draw a line from Breguet, passing through George Daniels, and you come to FP Journe. As with Breguet, there’s a rare fusion of engineering and aesthetics.

Patek Philippe. They’re at their signature best with perpetual calendars, which I don’t really like, but I wouldn’t mind experiencing the phenomenon. It wouldn’t surprise me if I experienced the phenomenon and then moved on, as maybe I did with Rolex.

Stepping down to a more attainable level - Sarpaneva. Stepan Sarpaneva is half-watchmaker, half-artist who uses the medium of watches. There’s a gothic tone and a dark, impish humour that almost seems to come from folklore. Love it.

I want to include a dead brand from the high-water mark of the 1960s, and I’ve plumped for Universal Genève. They were good enough for anyone without being ostentatious, and that general territory is still the one that feels like home for me today. Somewhere out there, there’s a Universal Genéve chronograph that I would love to bits. A gold one, preferably.
    Last edited by tribe125; Apr 17, 2020 at 03:48 PM.

14. Likes Cybotron, skywatch, gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Oh, this is fun.

Jaeger-LeCoultre: I am not a big fan of many of their watches, but I admire the Reverso from afar and would really like to try it. They have such respect in the industry and among collectors, I’m very interested in getting one. Which is strange, because if you look at it, it’s got a lot of things I’m not usually into. Arabic numerals all the way around, dial textures, possibly way too small (though some Duoface models are a bit larger, they’re so much more expensive)

Panerai: Another brand where I’m not a huge fan of them overall, but there’s one watch that really appeals to me, and that’s the Radiomir 655. Someone here has or had one and it enthralled me from the first time I saw it. It also seems to be unloved by the Paneristi, which appeals even more. It’s another one that has some features I generally don’t like, like Arabics all the way around and numerals of various sizes, but the overall package has me howling and slamming my foot on the floor like a cartoon wolf.

Audemars Piguet: Unlike the others, this is a brand I do like that has a lot of watches that appeal to me, but it’s budget that keeps me away. However, like the others, it has things I generally do not like, such as a textured dial and integrated bracelet. But I would absolutely happily wear a Royal Oak Chronograph.

Carl F. Bucherer: Unlike the others, there isn’t just one or two models that appeal, but rather almost every time I see a Bucherer I’m interested, especially when it’s one of their chronographs. Plus, it’s clearly the watch to wear when seeking bloody revenge.

IWC: Again, we have a brand that makes a lot of watches that just make me snooze, or other ones that just make me scratch my head as to why they’re so expensive (such as their Pilot watches), but it’s a brand with so much respect, I feel like I really want to own one to see if I can see what others see in them. I don’t have a specific watch in mind, but I do take gifts, so if you’d like to get me one to try out, I’d happily accept it. Like the Spitfire below, why does it have a date on an otherwise gorgeous watch? And why is it $4,500 on a NATO!? If that were no date and $3,000, we could start having a conversation about buying one.

We got similar taste.
    Cheers,

Richard

16. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Breguet. A name with unparalleled historical and technical resonance. I think of Breguet and watchmaking like I think of JS Bach and music. Engineering and innovation aside, the Breguet style is immortal and you can buy it today. Wonderful.

FP Journe. Draw a line from Breguet, passing through George Daniels, and you come to FP Journe. As with Breguet, there’s a rare fusion of engineering and aesthetics.

Patek Philippe. They’re at their signature best with perpetual calendars, which I don’t really like, but I wouldn’t mind experiencing the phenomena. It wouldn’t surprise me if I experienced the phenomena and then moved on, as maybe I did with Rolex.

Stepping down to a more attainable level - Sarpaneva. Stepan Sapaneva is half-watchmaker, half-artist who uses the medium of watches. There’s a gothic tone and a dark, impish humour that almost seems to come from folklore. Love it.

I want to include a dead brand from the high-water mark of the 1960s, and I’ve plumped for Universal Genève. They were good enough for anyone without being ostentatious, and that general territory is still the one that feels like home for me today. Somewhere out there, there’s a Universal Genéve chronograph that I would love to bits. A gold one, preferably.
    Awesome list. Good to see other brands such a Sarpaneva and Universal Genève.
    Cheers,

Richard

ALS
    JLC
    Laurent Ferrier
    Panerai
    Patek - although I owned a Calatrava about 20 years ago.

19. Likes Cybotron, skywatch liked this post