Likes Likes:  22
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Watch Company Quirks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    As the OP I say thanks for getting us back on topic, but this hotdog-pizza thing must be crushed before it can do any real harm.
    Yeah, I don't think that's safe for humanity.

Still, I might have to try it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    There are only two kinds of pizza worth eating:

a) Naples style (they invented it - and it's completely different from anything else you have had, anywhere) bring knife and fork.

b) New York style (Naples style modified to be street-vendor-friendly). Watch the opening sequence to "Staying Alive" to find out how John Travolta put on all that weight. Anyone who eats *this* with a knife and fork is from Cleveland.

Here "New York style" can be interpreted liberally. Everyone who grew up within 50 miles of the Empire State Building has a favorite local pizza dive. Mine was "Ralph's", in Nutley, NJ. (prime "Jersey Boys" country) Here's a way to tell a great pizza place - they don't deliver. They have take-out - but they don't deliver. But, the quintessential experience is the take away slice (or two) eaten on the street.

Anything else is the moral equivalent of an Invicta.
    Sticking with pizza, New York has lost that crown (New Jersey had it for a while, but a Philadelphia pizzeria was just named best pizza in the country). And plenty of great pizza places deliver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If the subject is Themes That Run Through Companies' Ranges should we mention Panerai?

I was working with a guy today who has two Panerai. He gave me the model numbers and I Googled them, they're not the most dissimilar pair possible.....

....except in price (three grand, six grand)
    Well, at least they do have very different functions, despite looking the exact same. 8 day power reserve and GMT is a significant upgrade to what I imagine is a 6497-based manual wind. But if I'd picked up the 8 days GMT, I can't see myself keeping the basic model (or rather, personally, I'd get the base model and not bother with the GMT).

4. Likes KennethRSloan, whatmeworry liked this post
    The poor lume on Orient's dive watches, and by poor I mean very short-lasting. It radiates brilliantly for about half an hour and then turns to a dull, barely perceptible glow. They have reportedly addressed this with more recent models like the Ray, but I don't have first-hand experience. My Mako and Mako XL both have subpar lume.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Have to say the odd lug sizes on watches lately. 25mm, 21mm, 19mm come on, really? They want to punish strap lovers or something...

Almost forgot this one. Sport chronos who refuse to put lume on their sub dials and/or lumed sub hands. Some don't look right with lume on sub dials nonetheless many would work well with it but so many brands refuse to do it.

Since my favorite brand is Panerai,I'll play along

My biggest problem now is the patina lume,the strength and duration of the glow is pretty sad especially on the newer models (got 339M,372N and 441O),the newer the year the worse the lume gets

The Titanium with brown dial combo,almost all current titanium models only come with brown dial except the subs

The new line ups,for me their latest models are boring,I miss the old models with JLC,Zenith,GP,Angelus,Minerva movts