Likes Likes:  13

Thread: A Happy Independence Day!

A Happy Independence Day!

To all our American friends, have a very good 4th!

And to all our cousins across the pond: Sorry it didn't work out for you. If only you'd let us run our haywains on the right side of the turnpike it might all have been different.

2. Likes geoffbot, T Bone, Chase, Raza liked this post
    Have a great 4th weekend!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Happy Independence Day America!

Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

5. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! Had a very nice day. My mom, brothers, and sister in law came over and we grilled out hamburgers. For some reason they were extra specially good. Pattied really thick cooked just right. I had the usual fixings including some vine ripened tomatoes from our garden and some nice thin sliced bacon. We also had potato salad, baked beans, Waldorf salad, potato chips, and slaw. For dessert strawberry shortcake and ice cream.

At dusk we went out to feed the flying squirrels in the yard. My sister in law was charmed by the little guys. And then we set off our fireworks.

We kept it simple but it was a nice day. Weather was as perfect as the burgers.

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Jul 5, 2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

7. Likes gnuyork, T Bone, OhDark30, boatme99 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Thanks! Had a very nice day. My mom, brothers, and sister in law came over and we grilled out hamburgers. For some reason they were extra specially good. Pattied really thick cooked just right. I had the usual fixings including some vine ripened tomatoes from our garden and some nice thin sliced bacon. We also had potato salad, baked beans, Waldorf salad, potato chips, and slaw. For dessert strawberry shortcake and ice cream.

This whole para just made me smile , no offence intended, it was just like a different language, and that really made me smile.

PS , Can I come next time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    This whole para just made me smile , no offence intended, it was just like a different language, and that really made me smile.

PS , Can I come next time
    No offence taken but I did get curious so I googled "burger fixings (aka burger fixins)." It is indeed a common phrase:

http://bbq.about.com/od/hamburgers/a/aa082298.htm

Although "burger toppings" appears to be more common.

Guess I'm letting my southern show.

You are welcome at our grill anytime.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

No offence taken but I did get curious so I googled "burger fixings (aka burger fixins)." It is indeed a common phrase:

Jeannie
    I visit a chipper in my neighbouring county. The menu sits on the wall, a laminated A4 sheet with the following

Chips
    Sausage
    Burger

The guy fries up the chips in a wee frier and cooks the burgers and sausages on a hotplate..

Apart from the delicious offerings the sheer entertainment is 2nd to none..

He talks to the burgers as he cooks them..'ok you need flipping', better watch you, you're almost done'...he then asks the customer if they want toppings..'you want a bit of red on that?' (ketchup) 'you want your onion crispy' (black burnt)..and he can feel whose coming into the shop and ask 'you want you're usual mick', this without lifting his head from the hotplate!

The only break from the madness is when his elderly mother shuffles in with buckets of chips she peels and cuts by hand!

Looking at the decor and fittings, I'd guees it was built in the 50/60s and stayed that way, food is wrapped in blank newspaper and is quite honestly the best takeaway food I've ever had

11. Likes boatme99, OhDark30, gnuyork, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    I visit a chipper in my neighbouring county. The menu sits on the wall, a laminated A4 sheet with the following

Chips
    Sausage
    Burger

The guy fries up the chips in a wee frier and cooks the burgers and sausages on a hotplate..

Apart from the delicious offerings the sheer entertainment is 2nd to none..

He talks to the burgers as he cooks them..'ok you need flipping', better watch you, you're almost done'...he then asks the customer if they want toppings..'you want a bit of red on that?' (ketchup) 'you want your onion crispy' (black burnt)..and he can feel whose coming into the shop and ask 'you want you're usual mick', this without lifting his head from the hotplate!

The only break from the madness is when his elderly mother shuffles in with buckets of chips she peels and cuts by hand!

Looking at the decor and fittings, I'd guees it was built in the 50/60s and stayed that way, food is wrapped in blank newspaper and is quite honestly the best takeaway food I've ever had
    Thanks for that story. Made me chuckle - the part where he talks to the burgers.

Jeannie
    Didn't sound odd at all to this Yankee Jeannie, just delicious. Nothing there that is particularly unique to the South, all the phrases you used are pretty universal amongst all the "Colonies" I expect. Just the Continental difference between "The King's English" and, well... "The Queens's English" (?)
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!