Likes Likes:  143
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 on a personal level

COVID-19 on a personal level

Does anyone have someone close to you, friends or family, who has become sick? My wife's uncle in NY is a longtime MS patient who lives in a Military Veteran facility. He was diagnosed about 3 days ago. The pneumonia is significant and due to his DNR they have removed his vent. We are just waiting on the phone to ring again.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Blog Entries
    This virus is actually very close to home - quite literally. Our tenant who lives in the cottage behind my studio tested positive for CV19 last month. His girlfriend is a doctor and he might have gotten it from her, or at work. He thought he just had a bad cold back in late Feb - early March, but isolated himself just in case. He vanished for a week or so then texted me to say he was quarantined with his girlfriend for two weeks because they had both tested positive, and since she was a doctor she wasn't allowed to work. They are both OK and out of quarantine now. All of this is an interesting reminder for how easy it would be for me to be carrying the virus perhaps without symptoms, and why it is important to isolate and keep the face covered in public even if we think we're the ones at risk. (I am of course quite certain that I do not have exposure, but the idea of its proximity is a reminder.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

3. Likes gnuyork, Henry Krinkle, Strela167 liked this post
    An elderly couple who should both have died but didn’t. Both in their 70s, both with serious underlying health problems. A doctor and ambulance crew were in little doubt that the husband had it, but he and his wife declined hospital care because they thought they would never see each other again. He survived, and his wife doesn’t appear to have any symptoms.

That part reminds me of hearing a reporter saying a man took his wife to the hospital amd he wasn't allowed past the front door. The man didn't know if he would ever see his wife alive again.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

My wife is an urgent care doctor and has had known exposures, which means I probably have been exposed, too. She comes home leaving her shoes in the garage and racing to the shower. She takes her temp multiple times a day and there is no number high enough to quantify the number of times she washes her hands each day. She's exhausted.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    My wife is an urgent care doctor and has had known exposures, which means I probably have been exposed, too. She comes home leaving her shoes in the garage and racing to the shower. She takes her temp multiple times a day and there is no number high enough to quantify the number of times she washes her hands each day. She's exhausted.
    Please convey our deep gratitude to your wife for what she is doing. We have a friend who is also an emergency doctor. Her husband is a writer who used to work at Apple with my wife, and he is staying home with their three young daughters. Has has also expressed awareness at the likelihood of getting exposed. The caution is indeed mentally exhausting. Wishing you both strength and patience.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

8. Likes hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Please convey our deep gratitude to your wife for what she is doing. We have a friend who is also an emergency doctor. Her husband is a writer who used to work at Apple with my wife, and he is staying home with their three young daughters. Has has also expressed awareness at the likelihood of getting exposed. The caution is indeed mentally exhausting. Wishing you both strength and patience.
    + elebenity hayday!

10. Likes skywatch, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Please convey our deep gratitude to your wife for what she is doing.
    ^^^^this. I serve on the board of a hospital where I live; they are the only level 1 trauma center in the area, and have a birds' eye view of what's going on. Deep respect for all of them.

My wife works for a children's hospital, though in an administrative capacity so is fortunate to be able to work from home. Still the things that she has to see and hear, especially having a high risk child of our own, are very mentally and emotionally draining. I can only image what it would be like to actually be on the front line in the hospital.

These days, the frontline of a hospital is the parking lot.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.