Likes Likes:  44
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: COVID-19 on a personal level

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Seriously, from a common cold?

I'm not 100% sure. It could have been that. I had a cold while out in Vegas for CES one year... when I got home it took me quite a while to even realize my lack of smell, I remember one time about a month later slicing an orange and I couldn't smell it.

The other possibility is that while I was out in Vegas CES, there is a section outside the main doors that have trade magazines. I leaned over to get one on a bottom shelf (Stereophile) and as I stood back up I was inhaling in a split second while somebody smoking was casually holding their cigarette inches from my nose (not on purpose) I felt like my nose and throat was on fire. I didn't really think anything of it except the smell of ash in my sinuses for a while.

I eventually saw a doctor, and got a scan and he told me the good news/bad news... It's nothing serious, but I most likely will never smell again. I did mention I had a cold, but I did forget to mention the story about the cigarette. To be honest I hadn't considered that as a reason until after thinking about it.

Who knows. It sucks, but could have been worse. At least I can still hear, see, and feel.

In Fire Rescue I have been in and around the medical world since 1984 and I have never run into anyone who said they lost the sense of smell from a common cold. Hearing it here now it obviously happens, but wow.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    In Fire Rescue I have been in and around the medical world since 1984 and I have never run into anyone who said they lost the sense of smell from a common cold. Hearing it here now it obviously happens, but wow.
    To be clear, I am not sure what it was, but the doctor did say it could have been from the cold. The more I think about it, I wonder if I singed my nerves from inhaling that smoke. It was fiery hot burning my nose. As I mentioned I forgot to tell him of that, and I wonder what he would have said if I did. Like A Ha!

I'd really like to know, and wonder if there is any way to correct it.

I can't say what the probability is but the possibility is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019