Likes Likes:  13
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A Happy Independence Day!

  1. #1
    Member boatme99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,689

    A Happy Independence Day!

    To all our American friends, have a very good 4th!

    And to all our cousins across the pond: Sorry it didn't work out for you. If only you'd let us run our haywains on the right side of the turnpike it might all have been different.
    54650

  2. Likes geoffbot, T Bone, Chase, Raza liked this post
  3. #2
    The Dude Abides Nokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,516
    Have a great 4th weekend!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

  4. #3
    Watch Geek T Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    1,226
    Happy Independence Day America!

    Regards, T Bone

    Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

  5. Likes Raza liked this post
  6. #4
    Higher Entity Jeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    4,870
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks! Had a very nice day. My mom, brothers, and sister in law came over and we grilled out hamburgers. For some reason they were extra specially good. Pattied really thick cooked just right. I had the usual fixings including some vine ripened tomatoes from our garden and some nice thin sliced bacon. We also had potato salad, baked beans, Waldorf salad, potato chips, and slaw. For dessert strawberry shortcake and ice cream.

    At dusk we went out to feed the flying squirrels in the yard. My sister in law was charmed by the little guys. And then we set off our fireworks.

    We kept it simple but it was a nice day. Weather was as perfect as the burgers.

    Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Jul 5, 2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch


    . . . . . . . . . .

  7. Likes gnuyork, T Bone, OhDark30, boatme99 liked this post
  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Thanks! Had a very nice day. My mom, brothers, and sister in law came over and we grilled out hamburgers. For some reason they were extra specially good. Pattied really thick cooked just right. I had the usual fixings including some vine ripened tomatoes from our garden and some nice thin sliced bacon. We also had potato salad, baked beans, Waldorf salad, potato chips, and slaw. For dessert strawberry shortcake and ice cream.

    This whole para just made me smile , no offence intended, it was just like a different language, and that really made me smile.

    PS , Can I come next time

  9. #6
    Higher Entity Jeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    4,870
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    This whole para just made me smile , no offence intended, it was just like a different language, and that really made me smile.

    PS , Can I come next time
    No offence taken but I did get curious so I googled "burger fixings (aka burger fixins)." It is indeed a common phrase:

    http://bbq.about.com/od/hamburgers/a/aa082298.htm

    Although "burger toppings" appears to be more common.

    Guess I'm letting my southern show.

    You are welcome at our grill anytime.

    Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch


    . . . . . . . . . .

  10. #7
    Member pepperami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Kildare, Ireland
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    No offence taken but I did get curious so I googled "burger fixings (aka burger fixins)." It is indeed a common phrase:

    http://bbq.about.com/od/hamburgers/a/aa082298.htm

    Although "burger toppings" appears to be more common.

    Guess I'm letting my southern show.

    You are welcome at our grill anytime.

    Jeannie
    I visit a chipper in my neighbouring county. The menu sits on the wall, a laminated A4 sheet with the following

    Chips
    Sausage
    Burger

    The guy fries up the chips in a wee frier and cooks the burgers and sausages on a hotplate..

    Apart from the delicious offerings the sheer entertainment is 2nd to none..

    He talks to the burgers as he cooks them..'ok you need flipping', better watch you, you're almost done'...he then asks the customer if they want toppings..'you want a bit of red on that?' (ketchup) 'you want your onion crispy' (black burnt)..and he can feel whose coming into the shop and ask 'you want you're usual mick', this without lifting his head from the hotplate!

    The only break from the madness is when his elderly mother shuffles in with buckets of chips she peels and cuts by hand!

    Looking at the decor and fittings, I'd guees it was built in the 50/60s and stayed that way, food is wrapped in blank newspaper and is quite honestly the best takeaway food I've ever had

  11. Likes boatme99, OhDark30, gnuyork, geoffbot liked this post
  12. #8
    Moderator gnuyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    5,022
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    I visit a chipper in my neighbouring county. The menu sits on the wall, a laminated A4 sheet with the following

    Chips
    Sausage
    Burger

    The guy fries up the chips in a wee frier and cooks the burgers and sausages on a hotplate..

    Apart from the delicious offerings the sheer entertainment is 2nd to none..

    He talks to the burgers as he cooks them..'ok you need flipping', better watch you, you're almost done'...he then asks the customer if they want toppings..'you want a bit of red on that?' (ketchup) 'you want your onion crispy' (black burnt)..and he can feel whose coming into the shop and ask 'you want you're usual mick', this without lifting his head from the hotplate!

    The only break from the madness is when his elderly mother shuffles in with buckets of chips she peels and cuts by hand!

    Looking at the decor and fittings, I'd guees it was built in the 50/60s and stayed that way, food is wrapped in blank newspaper and is quite honestly the best takeaway food I've ever had
    Thanks for that story. Made me chuckle - the part where he talks to the burgers.

  13. #9
    Watch Geek T Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    1,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    No offence taken but I did get curious so I googled "burger fixings (aka burger fixins)." It is indeed a common phrase:

    http://bbq.about.com/od/hamburgers/a/aa082298.htm

    Although "burger toppings" appears to be more common.

    Guess I'm letting my southern show.

    You are welcome at our grill anytime.

    Jeannie
    Didn't sound odd at all to this Yankee Jeannie, just delicious. Nothing there that is particularly unique to the South, all the phrases you used are pretty universal amongst all the "Colonies" I expect. Just the Continental difference between "The King's English" and, well... "The Queens's English" (?)
    Regards, T Bone

    Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us