Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you give up your entire collection for one dream watch?

Would you give up your entire collection for one dream watch?

Flipping in extreme to buy your 'grail'

Has anyone done it or contemplated doing it?

No, because that would imply a very expensive watch, and I have no desire to actually wear a very expensive watch.

Obviously my idea of very expensive is different to someone else, but after about a £1000/(£1500 maybe) ** for a single watch I'd start to worry about it on my wrist.... damaging it and stuff.

(**My upper limit for a watch.... ok £2000 tops )

3. Likes pepperami, vinylgreek, scottjc, rfortson liked this post
    not a chance I enjoy the hunt on some of my watches but have never really had a grail piece I would give my whole collection up for not going to happen plus all my grails are so reasonable price just they don't come along that often
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

5. Likes pepperami, OhDark30, scottjc liked this post
    No way, José
    I have a couple or three that I'd never willingly give up (for sentimental reasons).
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

7. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Nope. Many girlfriends are better than one good one......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

9. Likes Seriously, Raza, Chicolabronse liked this post
    My collection wouldn't pay for my grail, which is the effectively unobtainable FP Journe Chronometre Souverain.

At prices I can afford, I already have two watches that might otherwise be grails - Datejust and Speedmaster. I have one outstanding grail, the Explorer 14270, but would I sell the DJ and Speedmaster to get one? No, and actually that trade would leave me with cash left over. Would I sell my other watches to pay for an Explorer? I might do.

So, trading all for one doesn't work for me, and while I hope to end up with just a few watches, just one would never satisfy.

Blog Entries
    I already have my grail, so no. And it's not a watch you can wear doing the dishes or anything like that, so it's not suited to be an only watch.

I don't have a tattoo for a reason. I get bored with things. One of almost anything isn't enough. Add to that the fact that I can't even imagine a "grail" watch for myself and my answer is a solid no.

The size of my collection is quite ludicrous and could definitely be trimmed down to a...dozen (?)...but not one.

13. Likes vinylgreek, scottjc, FuzzyB, mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    One of almost anything isn't enough.
    Does the wife know about this?

15. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    No. I tried to do this in the past when I got a grail (my Explorer), and proved to myself that I'm not capable of doing it.