Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you answer when someone asks for watch advice?

How do you answer when someone asks for watch advice?

Just curious, how do you typically answer when a non-watch geek asks you for advice on buying a watch? Say, a family friend or colleague at work knows you're "into watches", so they ask you to recommend "a nice watch" for them to buy. How do you respond?

I know how I'd answer, but I'd like to hear how you'd respond first. I'll add my two cents worth later.

Blog Entries
    I always ask for what kind of budget, ask them what style they like, whether they want battery powered or mechanical (then I explain the pros and cons of both), and then give them what I think they should get. Then, inevitably, they buy whatever they wanted to in the first place.

3. Likes geoffbot, hayday, shemp, boatme99, BlackNomad liked this post
    ditto - the first rule of consulting is to give the customer and answer he can use, and not the one that satisfies you.

First, of course, is budget. This scale is best expressed on a log scale - what matters is "how many zeroes are in your budget".

Next is: WHERE and WHEN do they want to wear it. ("everywhere, all the time" is an acceptable answer") Jeans, or suits? Job site, or executive suite?

Third: quartz, automatic, or manual? This may interact with "3-handed, or date, or day/date?"

Finally, since a watch is, after all, jewelry - what IMAGE do they want to project? Do they want a timepiece that looks nice, or a piece of jewelry that happens to also tell the time? Engineering competence, or flamboyant "look at me"?

Oh yeah...one more - WHO do they want to impress?
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

5. Likes iyonk, boatme99, ljb187 liked this post
    I would tell them that i'm not qualified...

7. Likes Raza, boatme99 liked this post
    I agree that I'd start with budget, then style, then preference for brand.

Hi about when that person says they want a nice watch, and they're prepared to spend $100 or so for it? How would you answer that?

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Grand Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post

Hi about when that person says they want a nice watch, and they're prepared to spend $100 or so for it? How would you answer that?

I think that I would NOT ask about "brand" - because usually that's what they are asking YOU! That is - the question "what watch would you recommend?" is really (in their eyes) about brand.

Nice watch for $100. Timex has many suitable candidates on Amazon. I just did a search for Timex mens watch in Clothing and Jewelry and got 25 pages of results with prices <$100. Surely there is ONE in there they will like.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00

If they would like a nice diver, a decent Russian Восток can be had for well under $100, including shipping.

I think perhaps I could not find an automatic chronograph to recommend - but that's why you ask about budget first.

I might also take the time to point out that buying a watch is a bit like buying a puppy - the initial cost is one thing, but maintenance is another. Tell them that they can expect to pay $50-$100 per year in maintenance - they can either spend that money to keep their first watch running smoothly, OR they can buy a new Timex (or perhaps a discontinued Fossil) every year, instead.

Some people do that, you know - a new $100 watch under the Christmas tree every year. You don't even have to pay to change the battery. And, it's always in style.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

11. Likes rfortson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    ditto - the first rule of consulting is to give the customer and answer he can use, and not the one that satisfies you.

First, of course, is budget. This scale is best expressed on a log scale - what matters is "how many zeroes are in your budget".

Next is: WHERE and WHEN do they want to wear it. ("everywhere, all the time" is an acceptable answer") Jeans, or suits? Job site, or executive suite?

Third: quartz, automatic, or manual? This may interact with "3-handed, or date, or day/date?"

Finally, since a watch is, after all, jewelry - what IMAGE do they want to project? Do they want a timepiece that looks nice, or a piece of jewelry that happens to also tell the time? Engineering competence, or flamboyant "look at me"?

Oh yeah...one more - WHO do they want to impress?
    That's pretty much my response.

Easy-give em your knowledge 1st,then watch them get what the wanted

Sent from my Galaxy S6 edge using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post

Timex, Orient, Seiko, Casio.

15. Likes iyonk, hayday liked this post