Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Face moisturisers. Use them? Favourite?

Face moisturisers. Use them? Favourite?

My skin has had a hard time in the climate here with many years of sun exposure during work, sport and recreation. I'm into my 50's and for over 10 years now I've been using moisturiser daily to combat dry and sun damaged skin on my face and head (I'm pretty much bald). I do wish I'd started many years earlier but I guess when younger I thought only girls used the stuff. I prefer the ones that have at least a little sunscreen in them to help prevent further damage.

For many years I was using a Nivea for Men with SPF 15 straight off the supermarket shelf. I've been happy with it and as far as I knew all moisturisers were the same. Recently though I tried Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser SPF 20. Cost over 3 times as much but wow this stuff goes on super smooth and feels great so I thought I'd give it a mention.

It also makes me wonder what else might be out there that I could try in the future. Anyone got a favourite?

Blog Entries
    Moisturizing and protecting your skin from sun damage are enormously important for both men and women.

That said, I've found I don't have to spend a lot of money to get great results.

I swear by St Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Moisturizer. At $5.00 for 10 oz, it's dirt cheap and it's the best stuff I've found. The fact that it's so cheap makes me comfortable slathering it on with a generous hand.

In general I've found St Ives products to be great value. I use their green tea cleanser as well.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

3. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I don't use a facial moisturizer, but I can fully endorse Jack Black products. I've used their face washes, face scrubs, hair product, and others, and everything I've tried has been excellent.

5. Likes GlennO liked this post
    I use a face moisturiser daily, but have no particular allegiance. I tend to just by whichever is on special offer in the chemist or supermarket and haven't really noticed a massive difference (although I've never gone really upmarket). At the moment I'm using Bulldog at work and L'Oréal at home I think

7. Likes GlennO liked this post
    The main reason I like the Jack Black is that it's not as greasy feeling as the Nivea. It disappears straight into my skin. As per Jeannie's experience price might not be much of a factor, just a matter of preference. I'll be checking out if there's anything else from JB's range that I can use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    The main reason I like the Jack Black is that it's not as greasy feeling as the Nivea. It disappears straight into my skin. As per Jeannie's experience price might not be much of a factor, just a matter of preference. I'll be checking out if there's anything else from JB's range that I can use.
    I abandoned Nivea long ago. It might be cheaper, but it's cheaper for a reason. For my personal care needs, I like to stick to Jack Black, Molton Brown, Paul Mitchell, and most recently, I got a Krieger and Sohne shampoo I really like. More and more I find that the stuff I can get at the local Target just isn't good enough.

I don't know what's available in Australia, but I tend to check this site out to see what's a good product and what isn't:

http://www.groominglounge.com/

10. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    That said, I've found I don't have to spend a lot of money to get great results.
    A woman with her head screwed on right, there. My wife spends a fortune on moisturiser, claiming that because she has nice skin it must work best. Hardly a placebos controlled, double-blind test... The beauty industry is a scam. I believe basic aloe moisturiser probably does the job just fine.

I use nivea daily.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

I just wash and go

......because I'm worth it

13. Likes crownpuller, GlennO, pepperami, Chase liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    ... sun exposure during work, sport and recreation. ...sun damaged skin ... a little sunscreen in them to help prevent further damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Moisturizing and protecting your skin from sun damage are enormously important for both men and women.
    When on holiday (vacation) in hotter climes, yes; but 'over here' SPF 1½ is overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I just wash and go
    Me too; I have the complexion of a 12 year old; MUCH to my wife's annoyance
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

15. Likes GlennO liked this post
    I generally use this.

Name:  tap.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  17.8 KB

and because I work outside all day I often apply this:

Name:  rain.png
Views: 71
Size:  332.6 KB

You can't get more natural.
    There's nothing important to read here.

17. Likes crownpuller, Der Amf, whatmeworry, jsw41, Chase liked this post