Likes Likes:  174
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unexplainable watch purchases

Unexplainable watch purchases

Like unexplained watch habits, this hobby seems to drive us to do some crazy stuff. Like make unexplainable purchases.

Case in point. I have three copies of a very limited edition watch. Why? Because they have different rotors, that's why. And because it is perfectly logical to buy three of the same watch even though no one will ever see the rotor when it is on my wrist, or pretty much never for that matter. In my defense, one of the watches has all black numbers on the date wheel while the other two have roulette style date wheels, which means they actually look slightly different from the front every other day.

Sadly, that is not even the craziest reason why I have bought a watch. There are some I own which I couldn't even begin to explain the reasons behind them. I found a pocket watch in a drawer the other day that I don't even remember buying, let alone the reason why I bought it.

Is this #5,26,and 43 of the same 49? If so I think you should try get the others to complete the set !

Less nutty than this...

MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

I have no idea why I bought this Potger-Pietri (an Invicta Frankenwatch) other than I was not yet a member of any watch forums and didn't know better. The thing spoke to me is all I can come up with for an answer. It's not too bad for a POS watch with a Swiss quartz Ronda movement and flame fusion crystal for 6 easy payments.

-hayday

Name:  Potger.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  7.9 KB

Name:  Potger4.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Potger3.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  Potger close.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  42.8 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. Likes JAGtime, FuzzyB, popoki nui, synequano liked this post
    ^^^^^ Looks a bit Linde Werdelin to me
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

I bought a U-Boat (BEFORE I was enlightened, he hastens to add) - 'nuff said
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

8. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I must be way too anal--I've never actually looked back at a watch, even ones I've subsequently sold, and asked myself "Why did I ever buy this?" The ones I've sold, I've liked but there was one thing about them that bothered me sufficiently that I got rid of it.

Or maybe I'm just a super rationalizer.

10. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Is this #5,26,and 43 of the same 49? If so I think you should try get the others to complete the set !

Less nutty than this...

They are of the same set. Actually, less than 49 of them were made. I don't know the exact numbers, but I asked RGM about it and they did say I could still buy one, but they would have to make a custom rotor for it. The three I now have were actually available options. I know of at least one that the owner would never part with, so my chances of completing the set are nil.

Speedy collectors are a whole other story. All I can say is that Omega must love the guys that must have one of every Speedy limited edition made.

12. Likes MarkO, Chase liked this post
    I'm sure anyone outside the watch community would find it inexplicable that anyone should need 13 Diastars

After 3 watches, they all get pretty hard to explain