Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a watch be considered a fake...

Can a watch be considered a fake...

...if the model it's faking never actually existed?

This is a little tongue in cheek as the easy answer is if company who's name is on the dial didn't make the watch then yea, it's a fake. But I got to thinking about it yesterday so I figured I'd see what the great minds of IWL had to say. Also, I really wanted to post the below watch, it's just that awesome.

Backstory

So yesterday my mother-in-law (knowing I like watches) texts me that there is a Rolex for sale on our of our local Items for bid Facebook groups. Quoting her, "There is a real Rolex watch on items for bid in Westlake area. Starting bid $100." Well I had to say that I was immediately interested, I mean a real Rolex for $100!!! Sign me up. Not being a member of the group I asked her to send me picture....

I had to text her back, "I'm pretty sure that's not real." I did however join that group just so I could watch the comments on that watch. Unfortunately think I missed all the good ones as my wife was telling me there were people questioning it's veracity and I don't see any of those comments as they must have been deleted by the admins. They did say (after apparently kicking some people out of the group), "ANYONE else?? Again ask questions or bid. You don't agree MOVE ON!!! We (admins and myself) are IN NO WAY responsible for ANYTHING in this GROUP." So if you've got a fake Rolex to sell, I've got a group that doesn't care...

Oh and here's one more pic just because it's that great...

2. Likes Henry Krinkle, Nutty28, CFR, synequano liked this post

Really all that can be said about that watch...
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

4. Likes bu11itt, tempocalypse liked this post

Yep, that's a fake, but this is borderline...

Wow !.... It's a time machine, too ... It went from 2015 in the first pic to 2009 in the second
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Wow !.... It's a time machine, too ... It went from 2015 in the first pic to 2009 in the second
    And the month only half way turned over in both photos! Must be a Rolex thing.

I think it's a Westlake thing...
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

In case anyone is curious, the current high bid is $300. Someone is going to pay $300 for that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Well obviously. Everyone knows the year changes over in July in the northern hemisphere and since the watch is on Facebook then the change over is a reverse quinquennium plus one year. Duhhh.

12. Likes bu11itt, crownpuller liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by vinylgreek View Post
    Well obviously. Everyone knows the year changes over in July in the northern hemisphere and since the watch is on Facebook then the change over is a reverse quinquennium plus one year. Duhhh.
    Silly me, fancy missing that
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

14. Likes vinylgreek liked this post