Likes Likes:  49
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck / Marine watch dials

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    There are some which try to be different to one degree or another

Attachment 24167
    This one for me please. The numbers are too small, but I everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    He puts out some fantastic pieces.

I'm going to offer that I think the numerals are perfect. I love the scale and the fact he pushed them outwards towards the edge of the dial further creating more white space.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    The comment made me realise something....

Small numerals on watch dials is generally an old fashioned thing, but on the deck clocks in my OP the numerals are large, like on a modern watch

4. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    Name:  1186-126_61.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  61.2 KB
    (From the UN Website)

Ulysse Nardin, probably the foremost upper-level maker of marine chronometers these days, uses plain Arabics when they use Arabics. And they are applied. When they use a painted dial, they use Romans.

One thing a marine watch needs is an up-down indicator. Keeping the deck clock wound was a life-and-death matter for early sailors--it was their only means of determining longitude with anything like accuracy.

Rick "who'd like to have one of these someday, and would even more love to have one of those fine ship's clocks" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

6. Likes hayday liked this post
    My favorite contender at the moment...

8. Likes mlcor, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    I've done my fair share of daydreaming about this watch:

Though I would have to see that dial texture in the flesh before making a decision about having the PR indicator or not. If it's a pretty texture I'd rather get a nice bit of space in which to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jul 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM.

10. Likes hayday liked this post
    UN for the win, but it's nip-tuck with Dornbluth. RGM comes in a solid third.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The comment made me realise something....

Small numerals on watch dials is generally an old fashioned thing, but on the deck clocks in my OP the numerals are large, like on a modern watch
    You are correct. On another forum I had a guy tell me recently that a certain reproduction pilot Watch "couldn't" be a pilot watch because the numbers weren't big enough. So I posted the very same companies original pilot watch from 1938 with the identical numerals.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    UN for the win, but it's nip-tuck with Dornbluth. RGM comes in a solid third.

-hayday

Clearly owning one and loving it, there is some understandable prejudice on my part but there are two things about RGMs dial that are difficult to appreciate anywhere but real life. One is that the dial is engraved, rather than printed or applied. The other is that it is brushed, bare steel.

These pictures sort one , the other or both:

zP1010633 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

aP1010585 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

aP1010596 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

14. Likes Jazzmaster, FuzzyB, Chase liked this post
    Imitation of Life's Waltham is one of my favourites:
    Name:  Waltham.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  84.0 KB
    Citizen: Eco-Drive BV1080-18A ☆ Longines: Legend Diver ☆ Melbourne Watch Co.: Flinders ☆ Obris Morgan: Branco, Pradata ☆ Rado: Captain Cook 'Ghost Captain' ☆ Stowa: Antea 390, Antea Poland LE, Flieger 2011 LE, Marine Original LE IITudor: Heritage Black Bay

16. Likes Der Amf, hayday, Chase liked this post