Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting a watch backward in time/hacking

Quote Originally Posted by bu11itt View Post
    With the little knowledge and interaction I've had with them, most Russian movements require you to wind it backwards to save time when setting the date. As most don't have a quick date set (including my Komandirskie) there is a ritual you must do to advance the date without having to make two complete revolution of the hands. To start, you wind it past midnight and let the date advance. You then wind it backwards to around 8, 9 o'clock until the date wheel "slips" (which you can feel and see) and go back to forward advancement of the time. The watch will advance the date again just as if you have made 2 complete revolutions. During this operation the second hand will "back-hack". Considering it was designed this way to advance the date I don't think it is adversely affecting the watch too much, but I frankly don't know for sure. I will say I was nervous the first time I tried it, now it's not big deal at all. Because everything is better with pics; here's the watch I'm talking about.
    This is essentially the way Nomos tells you to change the date on their watches that have them.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    This is essentially the way Nomos tells you to change the date on their watches that have them.
    Did not know that. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

I found that when I did that to my wife's Rolex Datejust, the date actually goes backwards. Since the Rolex date mechanisms are supposed to be robust to even quicksetting the date at any time whatsoever, I assume I'm not doing any real damage to the movement. I can't try it on my Submariner, as I got the no date version of that.

I suspect the issue is the same one which recommends against quicksetting the date during the period where the date switches over, or when the jump mechanism is being charged for the instantaneous date change.

Patek Philippe
    Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Baume & Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar; Tudor Black Bay.

Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field H70555863; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull 818.900 Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN017P1; Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51.

I've been doing this for years without any problem and I will keep doing it. Anyway, this usually only work when the main spring is basically unwounded so less force is applied through the drive train. Back hack will not work on all movement either. The caliber 565 in my Omega Seamaster 300 makes it almost impossible to stop the second hand by applying backward pressure. It has to be very, very low in power to do it.
    ~Daniel~

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I found that when I did that to my wife's Rolex Datejust, the date actually goes backwards. Since the Rolex date mechanisms are supposed to be robust to even quicksetting the date at any time whatsoever, I assume I'm not doing any real damage to the movement. I can't try it on my Submariner, as I got the no date version of that.

I suspect the issue is the same one which recommends against quicksetting the date during the period where the date switches over, or when the jump mechanism is being charged for the instantaneous date change.
    Yup, Rolex can be set either direction, including date changes, at any time. This is especially useful (frankly a requirement for me) on the GMT.

I also set the time/date both forwards and backwards on my Omega PO and have never had a problem.
    Last edited by cedargrove; Nov 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM.

Whether the seconds hand stops (or goes backwards) or not when applying the back pressure typically relates to properly set friction between center wheel and cannon pinion sitting on it. If the cannon pinion is crimped properly, it will allow for normal minute hand operation, and it won't introduce much force back when back pressure is applied through the crown.

I'm sure some more knowledgable members might give clearer and more precise explanation, but this is my understanding.

7. Likes Seriously, Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mpnap View Post
    Whether the seconds hand stops (or goes backwards) or not when applying the back pressure typically relates to properly set friction between center wheel and cannon pinion sitting on it. If the cannon pinion is crimped properly, it will allow for normal minute hand operation, and it won't introduce much force back when back pressure is applied through the crown.
    Name:  3155978+_4dc74c3e1b040cd57f250354dea5fb95.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  9.3 KB