2 12.50%
  • return

9 56.25%
  • wouldn't have bought it in the first place, don't ask me

5 31.25%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WWYD: New arrival slightly different than expected

^^^
    I agree, except you put it in such a way as there was an objective truth to that, while it's really down to personal likes and tastes.

When I try to analyse it for myself, I think in this Eterna the applied numerals are adding a twist, so that it's not 'yet another flat vintage dial'. And I like twists.

Out of the blue, the controversial Vertex came to mind with its blocky luminous numerals, and while initially I was looking at them as a quirk, several days ago I had another look somewhere and they didn't appeal to me anymore, I'd choose painted any day.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    There are also a lot of ‘applied’ indices and numerals that are stamped, from Seiko to Lange & Söhne. In many of these cases, there’s no more ‘quality’ in applied than painted.
    Not sure how common they are, tbh. I think I only ever saw stamped numerals in one watch I considered, and that would be a 24h Sturmanskie Traveller. Hmmm...

WWYD: New arrival slightly different than expected

My Smiths has stamped numbers (they’re not applied, or simply painted)

Your question has made me think about what I like in a dial: I’ve certainly got a few with applied stick indices, and printing on convex vintage dials

The Aviator has thick enough lumed numbers that they have a bit of shape to them

But this is probably my fave
    Some bumpiness keeps things interesting, I think :-)
    Last edited by OhDark30; May 27, 2020 at 09:00 PM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

3. Likes rodia77, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    If it's not what you wanted, you should probably return it. Unless you're happy with it, in which case you should keep it. Does that help?
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

5. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    If it's not what you wanted, you should probably return it. Unless you're happy with it, in which case you should keep it. Does that help?
    I don't know what I would do without your input.

7. Likes hayday, OhDark30, mlcor liked this post
    I'm here to help. Or confuse. I can't remember.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. Likes rodia77, Samanator liked this post
    Too late to the party ( ) but still voted 'return' because

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    If you have enough doubt to post this thread, that says to me you should return it...
    On the subject of applied vs painted numerals, it depends on the design. The painted numerals have a slight advantage: they don't fall out following a strong impact. And yes, it's not common, but I've seen that happen.
    Last edited by CFR; May 27, 2020 at 09:55 PM.

11. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Not sure how common they are, tbh. I think I only ever saw stamped numerals in one watch I considered, and that would be a 24h Sturmanskie Traveller. Hmmm...

I can’t quickly find a good example of stamped numerals, but I remember an interview in which a Lange & Söhne production engineer said that the Roman numerals on the Lange 1 were stamped. He was quite proud, because Lange had recently bought a dial stamping machine that allowed them to bring dial making in-house.

Here are two common examples of stamped/embossed indices -

Name:  6B7025A2-4377-43C7-8DA8-610C54397BAB.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  52.8 KB
    Name:  E0DD05ED-F69A-40BE-8EE9-CEF4A9197075.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  34.7 KB

13. Likes rodia77, Pip liked this post
    To wrap it up, I posted the watch yesterday, Weir & Sons received it today and issued a refund immediately. So if they ever have anything I'm interested in, I'll shop with them confidently.

15. Likes Strela167, mlcor, CFR, skywatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post

My Smiths has stamped numbers (they’re not applied, or simply painted)

Your question has made me think about what I like in a dial: I’ve certainly got a few with applied stick indices, and printing on convex vintage dials

The Aviator has thick enough lumed numbers that they have a bit of shape to them

But this is probably my fave
    Some bumpiness keeps things interesting, I think :-)

That is quite a dial, right up my alley with the even numerals. Nice one.

17. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Thanks!
    It’s my second most worn watch

I picked the vintage pigskin strap to dress it down a bit, and it goes pretty much everywhere
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!