2 12.50%
  • return

9 56.25%
  • wouldn't have bought it in the first place, don't ask me

5 31.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WWYD: New arrival slightly different than expected

To me, that feels like a whole nother watch from the review pic you posted

The 3dness of the dial is a lot of what makes it attractive in my eyes, hanging together with the cool lugs and case styling, held off from being too formal by the minutes track

Printed numbers spoil it for me: I’d return it
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

2. Likes rodia77, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    It’s not what you wanted, you’ll never be comfortable with it, so maybe it should go back.

Regarding the indices, it looks as though Eterna downgraded the spec. Isn’t Eterna a company that scarcely exists? There was talk of bankruptcy around the time that the model was released, and the Chinese owners seemed to be appointing a new CEO every week. One possible scenario is that the original model didn’t sell, so they stripped out some manufacturing costs and tried to sell it at a lower price.

The resulting watch is OK as it stands, although it might benefit from being slightly smaller. It’s nice enough, but I wouldn’t want to feel that I’d paid a good whack of money for it.

4. Likes rodia77, hayday liked this post
    If you have enough doubt to post this thread, that says to me you should return it...

6. Likes rodia77, Samanator, hayday, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    If you have enough doubt to post this thread, that says to me you should return it...
    Spot on, Concise , to the point.

Nice watch , but , sounds as though would only ever see as not being quite right.

8. Likes rodia77, mlcor liked this post
    Funny, when I was submitting the original post I was leaning towards keeping it, because I thought I liked it enough as is. Then I asked myself if I'd have gone ahead with the purchase had I known the markers weren't applied, and, much as I frowned at it, the honest answer had to be no. And then you all confirmed my sway from keep to return, so yep, it's going back. If the watch was as I imagined it, it would be a keeper, but now I don't even feel like trying to negotiate the variant on the bracelet instead of a refund, I simply got tired.

This situation made me reflect upon something, though, so there's a lesson.

For one, I had to figure out for myself if applied markers are important for me or am I just sheepishly following the 'applied over printed' trend. In this case they turned out to be a factor, but in general I think I'm in line with what Joe said.

Second, as my 30m WR Seiko 5 passed the shower test no probs, I'm a little more comfortable with that rating and I may look again at what Longines has to offer. And if it turns out I'm OK with 30m WR, I'll probably never forgive myself that I didn't pull the trigger on a NOS LESS watch when I had a chance.

Cheers all!

10. Likes skywatch, mlcor liked this post
    I'm a fan of Eterna, especially with pricing being so low and quality high - usually.

The picture on the Eterna site looks like a printed dial while the review is clearly applied numerals - so that would bother me if I had only seen the review and purchased it based on that alone.

These 40mm fairly thin watches from this brand appeal to me in their simplicity and I know you said you are going to return it, but if the price was right and you don't mind the printed dial - it's a nice watch.

12. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Looking at their photos, the bracelet model to me looks little more 3D on the numbers than the strap model. I'm maybe seeing more than is there. That might coincide with the review. For me this probably would not have come out of the box after opening the lid. I say send it back. It does not meet your expectations.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

14. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    I'm a fan of Eterna, especially with pricing being so low and quality high - usually.

The picture on the Eterna site looks like a printed dial while the review is clearly applied numerals - so that would bother me if I had only seen the review and purchased it based on that alone.

These 40mm fairly thin watches from this brand appeal to me in their simplicity and I know you said you are going to return it, but if the price was right and you don't mind the printed dial - it's a nice watch.
    Yes, I'd say quality is there.
    The price wasn't as low as you might think by what it could be grabbed for in the US (think ~50% of MSRP rather than ~25% ), but I'd still be happy to pay it if the watch was how I expected it to be.
    Edit: And the size, my judgement from pics and vids was spot on -- it's 40mm so larger than my sweet spot of 38, but because of the perfectly round shape and somewhat of a substantial bezel it doesn't wear too large.

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Looking at their photos, the bracelet model to me looks little more 3D on the numbers than the strap model. I'm maybe seeing more than is there. That might coincide with the review. For me this probably would not have come out of the box after opening the lid. I say send it back. It does not meet your expectations.
    Yep, when I opened the box one of the first things I wanted to see were the applied numerals so I probably understated my expectations regarding that aspect in my OP here.
    Last edited by rodia77; May 27, 2020 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    For one, I had to figure out for myself if applied markers are important for me or am I just sheepishly following the 'applied over printed' trend.

There can be no generalised ‘better’ about applied indices or numerals. A Patek Philippe Calatrava can have printed numerals, and it looks entirely right. Most often, Roman numerals are better printed than applied. My Nomos Metro would look very odd indeed with applied numerals.

Of my seven watches, five have printed indices or numerals, and that’s the way they should be. The two that don’t (JLC and Grand Seiko) are also the way they should be. It’s about style and appropriateness.

There are also a lot of ‘applied’ indices and numerals that are stamped, from Seiko to Lange & Söhne. In many of these cases, there’s no more ‘quality’ in applied than printed.
    Last edited by tribe125; May 28, 2020 at 12:30 AM.

18. Likes rodia77 liked this post