Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought this vintage watch, have some questions.

Just bought this vintage watch, have some questions.

So I purchased this watch on eBay for very little last week. I have been infatuated with vintage world timers for a while and the price seemed to good to pass up.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436582324.047021.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  160.8 KB

It arrived today and is as described in the listing in that it is running, but it is in desperate need of a service. That is fine as it was expected, but I do have one question/concern; the bezel doesn't rotate on mine but I've seen photos of the same model with different cities positioned at 12 o'clock than on mine. Can the bezel insert mechanism
    lock up over time? This is my first world timer so I'm a bit ignorant here. Any assistance members on the forum can provide is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.thewatchquest.com
    Instagram: @ryanwearswatches

2. Likes hayday, synequano liked this post
    It's probably just accumulated dirt, so a relatively easy fix - the trick will be freeing the bezel without getting water/ solvents everywhere.
    I'm sure there will be expert suggestions along soon - meantime is it worth checking dive watch forums for tips?
    Good luck, and nice find there!
    Look forward to seeing more pics :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Assuming that you factored in "full service" into the purchase decision....send it off and be sure to post an "after" picture.

It always amazes me what bargains are to be had if you assume that *any* auction-purchased watch really ought to be serviced - at the very least a routine COA - plus "whatever else is needed".
    If you assume that you *will* service it, you can pick up specimens that others will pass on (because they want to wear it "out of the box").

This watch may be "running", but I would not even consider actually using it in this condition. So, it hardly matters that it is running. Of course, a "non-running" watch may have truly serious problems, but in my (limited) experience, most are not at all expensive to bring back up to speed.

Again - the key is to ASSUME that you will immediately send it in for a COA, and consider that part of the purchase price.
    Last edited by KennethRSloan; Jul 11, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

5. Likes Churchy, hayday liked this post
    I am of the opinion that with some watches given a complete overhaul they lose some of the appeal I like an old watch to look like an old watch.

If I see one that is to shiny then I think it has has some serious work done to it and how true to the original is the inside take this talis it has done a bit of a tour around the guys of the mwc on the IWL.

so would I do much with it ? would contemplate a new dial but on thinking it's has been around for 50 odd years let it be and wear as is is my thoughts on a lot of my watches and the price I pay for some I suppose I could get it services and still be a fair price but if it is working why mess with it a bit of a poly watch and maybe a small amount of washing up liquid around the bezel to remove the dirt.

me I would be tempted to remove from case and let the case sit in a washing up mix for a day then free up the bezel poly watch and wear it as is all depending on cost if it was not that cheap then professional service might be the way to go we all love our watches in different ways so if shiny does it for you have a service would not be a bad Idea
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jul 11, 2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes hayday, synequano liked this post
    Thanks for the feedback, ya'll. I will have my watch guy take a look at the movement and clean it. Turning the crown you can tell that the movement needs to be cleaned, but the watch runs and keeps time. The only things I plan to do is have a new crystal put on and have the bezel freed up. It's damn near impossible to rotate.
    Another question, does anyone have any idea how to utilize the world time function. Someone on another forum pointed out the cities on the bezel insert are in no kind of order by time-zone and there is no forth hand like on a GMT. Any feedback is appreciated.

www.thewatchquest.com

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing the cities have + - symbols next to them. if GMT was pointed at the hour hand (here at 7. New york would be back 5 hours at 2. Moscow forward 2 hours at 9.

10. Likes Ryanpatrick liked this post
    I got a few but gave up on that and just have them because they look purty
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

12. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    The bezel can get corrosion underneath for sure,try taking a toothbrush & some warm water to the bezel to remove any dirt,soil,corrosion that may be making it stick.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 edge using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

14. Likes Ryanpatrick liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchy View Post
    I'm guessing the cities have + - symbols next to them. if GMT was pointed at the hour hand (here at 7. New york would be back 5 hours at 2. Moscow forward 2 hours at 9.
    That's the ticket. Spot on. Thanks so much. I've been racking my brain.

www.thewatchquest.com

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    I am of the opinion that with some watches given a complete overhaul they lose some of the appeal I like an old watch to look like an old watch.

If I see one that is to shiny then I think it has has some serious work done to it and how true to the original is the inside take this talis it has done a bit of a tour around the guys of the mwc on the IWL.

so would I do much with it ? would contemplate a new dial but on thinking it's has been around for 50 odd years let it be and wear as is is my thoughts on a lot of my watches and the price I pay for some I suppose I could get it services and still be a fair price but if it is working why mess with it a bit of a poly watch and maybe a small amount of washing up liquid around the bezel to remove the dirt.

me I would be tempted to remove from case and let the case sit in a washing up mix for a day then free up the bezel poly watch and wear it as is all depending on cost if it was not that cheap then professional service might be the way to go we all love our watches in different ways so if shiny does it for you have a service would not be a bad Idea

What HE said. Be careful with regards to cleaning the outside as a polished case will ruin the appeal of a vintage watch. Buff up the crystal, sure. But be very, very careful about polishing the case. Some would say don't polish the case at all, but it's a matter of personal preference on that front. My caution is to avoid a case that looks brand new. A light buffing will do- just enough to improve the look of some of the deeper scratches.

As for the bezel, don't force it yourself. Save that for someone who knows what to do, has the proper equipment, and is insured against things going wrong.

Nice pick up. I love those old world timers, too. Enjoy!

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.