Likes Likes:  74
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-appreciated watch traits

Under-appreciated watch traits

A discussion over in the MWC thread and a recent acquisition have made me think about things that I tend not to think about when choosing a watch.
    Whilst size is definitely something I personally consider, and which seems to get debated a lot here ("if only it was 2mm bigger/smaller"), one thing don't often talk about is weight, or more accurately the lack of it.
    My recently purchased Bulova quartz is an absolute joy to wear (especially on a perlon strap) because when I have it on I don't know it's there. Indeed I've caught myself wondering if I have a watch on at all and having to check.

So, please, praise your lightest watches here and feel free to suggest other attributes that tend to be overlooked in our community

Under-appreciated watch traits

Thickness (or rather thinness) is one of my favorite features. I wore a Swatch Skin all through undergraduate and graduate school because it was a watch that was comfortably thin and the quartziness of it made it dependable and durable for anything college could throw at it.

My current favorite watch is this RGM. It's an automatic with full-size rotor, center seconds, and date (not to mention twin barrel) and measures 7.5mm thick.

I'm with Brian, I view thinness as an admirable trait. I don't have any watch thicker than 14mm, and most of mine are under 12mm. I really admire the super thin ones--my Zenith Elite, an automatic with date, is just a hair over 8mm, quite good. And my Vacheron is just under 8mm.

As for weight, it's a mood thing with me--the Zenith and VC feel feathery light, which is nice, sometimes. Other times I like the weight of my Hulk or even my brass Armida. Depends on what I'm doing, and how I'm feeling.

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Curved lugs tend to fit the wrist better, especially if the watch is on the larger side.

Easy to tell the time. A dial does not have to be plain or simple as long as the hands are easy to read. This simplicity certainly can apply to hour and minute indices, as well.

Writing that blends in with the dial, as opposed to overtaking it. Minimal writing is better.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    A bracelet that fits. GlennO and DefAmf (I think?) saved me from a lifetime of an ill-fitting omega by suggesting replacing a 10mm full link with 2 6mm half links thus essentially micro adjusting. They have my eternal gratitude!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

8. Likes whatmeworry, JAGtime, synequano, GlennO liked this post
    I've notice a bit of a swing in my preferences, away from big chunky watches and toward thinner, lighter ones. What this means for the future of my Tudor Heritage Chrono....I'm not sure. Maybe it's just the heat this summer, or something else, but I've been reaching for smaller watches lately.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

10. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    The lightest of mine, by a gram or two, was this Sekonda now belonging to DJW. 25g including strap

12. Likes JAGtime, iyonk, Churchy, synequano liked this post
    I'm over big and heavy watches. The Nomos Ahoi is the lightest and thinnest watch I have. It's usually on a Nato or perlon strap.

Name:  DSC01714 - small.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  48.4 KB

14. Likes JAGtime, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Thickness (or rather thinness) is one of my favorite features. I wore a Swatch Skin all through undergraduate and graduate school because it was a watch that was comfortably thin and the quartziness of it made it dependable and durable for anything college could throw at it.

My current favorite watch is this RGM. It's an automatic with full-size rotor, center seconds, and date (not to mention twin barrel) and measures 7.5mm thick.

Incidentally JLC's two Ultra Thin automatics are 7.4mm and 7.6mm

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    Curved lugs tend to fit the wrist better, especially if the watch is on the larger side.

Easy to tell the time. A dial does not have to be plain or simple as long as the hands are easy to read. This simplicity certainly can apply to hour and minute indices, as well.

Writing that blends in with the dial, as opposed to overtaking it. Minimal writing is better.

-hayday
    Ayup

17. Likes hayday liked this post