Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did some browsing

Arguably, the date is better integrated on white dial Datejusts.

At the time I bought mine, the white one came with the roulette date wheel, which I liked, and the black one didn’t. I don’t know if that’s still the case.

Blog Entries
    This was what I wanted in a DJ. It has no luminova, but I really like the hands against the dial aspect. If there is any light, one can read the time just from the light shining on the hands.

FWIW,

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I can’t do the coloured dots either, so my OP choice would be 1) black, 2) white. I would go black or white for a Datejust too. Colours date and you can go off them.

When wanting a ‘lifetime’ watch, I went for this -

It had the PCLs you’re not keen on, but I found them an ideal complement to the polished bezel. My Datejust was a thick-lugger, but the lugs weren’t as pronounced as on some other models. I was happy until the current model came out, which looked better with slimmer lugs. There’s very little in it, but the newer model does have more classic proportions.

I’ve never been that keen on the OP, old or new. I thought the old one was a stripped-out Datejust, and the new one seemed to be trying too hard to be fashionable. Unjustifiable bias, probably, but you can’t help these things.

If buying now, I might buy a black OP, but mainly because the Datejust isn’t yet available in a lot of flavours. I would pick from black and white models, with the black, domed bezel Datejust (36mm) being my strong favourite. The white-dialled Datejust is only currently available with Roman numerals (I think), which might be a deterrent. The black OP is a decent alternative.

But if a Datejust is £5,650 and a JLC Master Control Date is £6,000, I’d take the JLC.
    Oh yes, I would take the JLC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Arguably, the date is better integrated on white dial Datejusts.

At the time I bought mine, the white one came with the roulette date wheel, which I liked, and the black one didn’t. I don’t know if that’s still the case.
    current one is not a roulette date as far as I know.

Blog Entries
    Man, whenever I see a Datejust, all I can see is a cyclops, an asymmetrical dial, a huge price tag, . The Oyster Perpetual is a better looking watch for less money; it's a no brainer for me. I'd take the OP36 and the $2,000 in my pocket every time.

But, well, why go for Rolex when the Reverso looks so damn good on you?

Or, if I may, have you looked at the Omega Globemaster? Might be a little big for you at 39mm, but you did mention you like a pie pan.

METAS master co-axial, 100m WR, available on bracelet and even better on leather (but if you want a year round, everyday watch, the bracelet is probably the way to go), it has a date at the best location to put one; it's a better looking competitor to the Datejust for around $1300 less before discounts.

If you want to stick to Rolex and want an older model, you can't go wrong with a classic Air King.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

7. Likes Samanator, gnuyork liked this post
    OP 39 in white or black - done!

9. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    I had the OP grape red, just like the one in your picture. Lovely watch, very solid, very versatile and a great daily wearer. I would highly recommend one.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

11. Likes hayday, gnuyork liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a horse in this race, because I prefer leather straps, and modern Rollies are all about the bracelet. I am really happy to have found a vintage Air-king at a bargain, but I suspect it would be too small for most people. I love the most recent lumed Explorer 1, and the OP and DJ models are nice (but I prefer no date). Everyone has to love what's on their OWN wrist, and it's always a personal decision. Having said that, the JLC Master Control was always in my dreams as a favorite simple classic watch, and the midsize Reverso (DuoFace) is... well, it's on my life list of purchases when all is good and comfortable. It's a joy to try these on for size.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

13. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Speedy Pro.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes OrangeSport, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Speedy Pro.
    When I was selling a watch (we sold one each to clear the mortgage) the Speedy was one I kept over the OP

The Speedtmtmy and the ND Sub are many two ultimate classics
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical