Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate golf

It's not a sport I follow closely but I can get into aspects of it.

I used to enjoy watching Seve Ballesteros. Peter Alliss's commentaries are a British thing of wonder. There was a programme about him last night, confirming that the man is touched with genius.

I miss Seve. He was a little before my time but I really enjoy his style and approach to the game. His playing is even somewhat reminiscent of mine: the tee box is my biggest weakness, but I am an excellent scrambler.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

I don't hate golf, but I don't like it either. The amount of time it takes to play just 9 holes is a big chuck of my weekend away from the family and after about six holes I've had enough. Plus the amount of time it takes to improve your game is unreasonable for me with a four year old at home and a baby on the way.

But mini golf...

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I don't hate golf, but I don't like it either. The amount of time it takes to play just 9 holes is a big chuck of my weekend away from the family and after about six holes I've had enough. Plus the amount of time it takes to improve your game is unreasonable for me with a four year old at home and a baby on the way.

But mini golf...
    You sound prime for a "par 3" course. 9 holes. This was the only place I ever remember enjoying the game, played with my Mom and Dad a few times. It was the course I learned on, all short holes. If all courses were like these, I'd have probably been a big fan of the game. Long Fairways and 18 holes really ruined it for me.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    You sound prime for a "par 3" course. 9 holes. This was the only place I ever remember enjoying the game, played with my Mom and Dad a few times. It was the course I learned on, all short holes. If all courses were like these, I'd have probably been a big fan of the game. Long Fairways and 18 holes really ruined it for me.
    Good thinking. We had a par 3 near our high school and it was actually really fun. We had one hole where the fairway was so short we'd throw our bank instead of using a club!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianStraps View Post
    the tee box is my biggest weakness, but I am an excellent scrambler.
    That's me. Always having to save my game with my irons.

People talking about playing and enjoying golf, shocking thread drift

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    No worries. I still hate it...
    Last edited by T Bone; Jul 16, 2015 at 06:00 PM.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My apologies, I did not intend on ruining everyone's hate-in.

By all means, get the hate fired back up and I'll exit stage left.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

10. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It's not a sport I follow closely but I can get into aspects of it.

I used to enjoy watching Seve Ballesteros. Peter Alliss's commentaries are a British thing of wonder. There was a programme about him last night, confirming that the man is touched with genius.
    Personally, I wouldn't even call it a sport. And this isn't one of those "golfers aren't athletes" type rants, since they are. I just don't define single person games where competition isn't trying to stop you to be a sport. In general, there has to be someone facing. Not always, but it's a good rule of thumb. Soccer, basketball, baseball, table tennis, actual tennis, fencing, and those like it are what I call sports. Stuff that is defined by vacuum-like individual excellence just doesn't count as a sport in my book. Skill game, track and field event, et al. But not what I'd call a sport.