Likes Likes:  2,854
Page 91 of 203 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I want one of these

Cool. Any plans to sell these to interested members?

Quote Originally Posted by SyntaxTerror View Post
    I built a batch of 50 (which took more than a single evening) and these eight became a watch.

Sent from Maxwell Smart’s shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Cool. Any plans to sell these to interested members?
    Oof.. it's a bit labor intensive, this. Not to mention parts since it's a non-multiplexing display (one driver per tube). I don't think anyone has invented a pick and place machine that could do vacuum tubes for me either

I was considering simplifying things a bit and maybe sticking 2, 4 or even 8 VFD drivers on the same board to save on connectors. And it wouldn't be too difficult to stick an RTC onto the controller and make it a dedicated clock, if that's what you were thinking? It was initially designed to simply display whatever RS-232 or USB plaintext input you gave it. I was messing around with an Arduino Yun at the time and made it sync to NTP time and fetch (semi-) useful data off the interwebs.... and it ended up as a (another) fixture over my work bench.
    Name:  Controller board layout.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  108.9 KBName:  Controller board schematic.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  46.6 KB
    Name:  Driver board layout.png
Size:  99.8 KBName:  Driver board schematic.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  74.5 KB
    Name:  Tube board layout.png
Size:  112.7 KBName:  Tube board schematic.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  59.6 KB

I don’t understand a thing, but I’m mightily impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I don’t understand a thing, but I’m mightily impressed.
    Nah, don't be. This is just a tiny hobby project, all things considered. Just letting people know it's all open source stuff if they want in on it.

I was once half of a two man team charged with building a data analyzer that was installed in a calibration aircraft, then tracked four or more DME ground stations, logged distances to them, triangulated a position and compared with GPS coordinates in real time. All in order to determine viability of GPS for precision approaches to airports. And when we were done with this frankly monstrous 1 1/2 years worth of tinker toy, the company we worked for lost the contract bid. To my knowledge our creation has since been gathering dust at a warehouse in England. So, lesson learned. Stick to simple things.

5. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post

7. Likes hayday, Mediocre liked this post
    This looks nice.

Name:  meridian-chrono-classic.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  27.2 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Just came across this French brand. I really like the eccentric design (no pun intended). The little "trilobe" indicators for hours, minutes and seconds are fixed, while the respective discs rotate. The movement starts out as an ETA 2892, but is heavily modified to the point of not really being recognizable as a 2892. Two sizes, 38.5 and 40.5. Not cheap ($8800 here in the US). Available in a plethora of colors, but I like the red.

Just saw that they have a dealer in my state. Hmm.

Name:  Trilobe-Les-Matinaux-1.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  Trilobe back.png
Views: 143
Size:  360.6 KB
    Last edited by mlcor; Oct 23, 2021 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Just came across this French brand. I really like the eccentric design (no pun intended). The little "trilobe" indicators for hours, minutes and seconds are fixed, while the respective discs rotate. The movement starts out as an ETA 2892, but is heavily modified to the point of not really being recognizable as a 2892. Two sizes, 38.5 and 40.5. Not cheap ($8800 here in the US). Available in a plethora of colors, but I like the red.

Just saw that they have a dealer in my state. Hmm.

Name:  Trilobe back.png
Views: 143
Size:  360.6 KB
    I like it.

That looks closer to an in house movement than Nomos's first effort.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

12. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    This looks nice.

Name:  meridian-chrono-classic.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  27.2 KB

Agreed! I have been admiring a few of their models recently

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We have some Christopher Ward fans here, do we not? This is not a company I know very much about; they seem to be aggressive marketers.

I like the look of this C63 Sealander Automatic. Sellita SW200-1; AR sapphire crystal, 150m WR.

£595 = approximately $820. I'd need to do some research before deciding if the price made sense for me. My likely conclusion would be to put those dollars toward a larger purchase of something I covet more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes Mediocre, Strela167 liked this post