Some sub dial seconds tanks are stunners too

Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    A quick google for Longines art-deco found this , 37mm handwind from 1946

Name:  IMG_0062-3-768x640.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  50.8 KB

Not bad either , apart from the packing case stenciled numbers
    Some sub dial seconds tanks are stunners too
    That configuration was also used by a number of brands, for example: Omega, Tissot and IWC.

At some point (1938 catalogue) Omega had a package including a wrist watch and a pocket watch with a similar dial in black and the wrist watch had those same hands.

Name:  Omega_1938.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  241.0 KB

Some designs from the 30s and 40s were amazing

Name:  Omega_30s.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  240.9 KB

pics from www
    Last edited by CFR; Jul 6, 2020 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Can we hoi polloi use this thread for the same purposes, like the random watch thread

That’s the idea.

4. Likes Samanator, skywatch, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Can we hoi polloi use this thread for the same purposes, like the random watch thread, or should we reserve this just for Tribe's daily listings. I suspect many of us could keep this thread alive into the dark hours of the future.
    I like this idea. Surprising I don't have anything to contemplate at the moment. My choices well into the future at the moment are set. I've even worked out in my head what will leaving over the next month or two.

As for the Longines I think it is you Alan. I don't think it needs any tweaks since Longines wisely choose not to screw it up with a date window as they have on so many more. I think an all black croc would look perfect.
    Last edited by Samanator; Jul 6, 2020 at 03:46 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

6. Likes tribe125, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I thing all black croc would look perfect.

Yes, I would consider a different strap, although probably still plain.

As CFR says, the contrast side stitching isn’t quite right. I don’t really share the enthusiasm for these straps in recent years. They’re said to be ‘vintage’ as if it was common for older watches to have such straps. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn’t. They were fitted to some early and fairly humble watches, but I doubt whether they would have been thought appropriate for the original of the Longines.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yes, I would consider a different strap, although probably still plain.

As CFR says, the contrast side stitching isn’t quite right. I don’t really share the enthusiasm for these straps in recent years. They’re said to be ‘vintage’ as if it was common for older watches to have such straps. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn’t. They were fitted to some early and fairly humble watches, but I doubt whether they would have been thought appropriate for the original of the Longines.
    Ox Blood/Cordovan leather might be better(Kind of like a Nomos strap) ? Sometimes blued hands need a little color in the strap to kick them up a bit.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Ox Blood/Cordovan leather might be better(Kind of like a Nomos strap) ? Sometimes blued hands need a little color in the strap to kick them up a bit.

I’ve had the very idea of a Nomos Cordovan, in black. But then I’m always looking for an excuse to use a Nomos Cordovan...

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Cut off numerals are fine. They’re not cut off, there’s something on top of them.

And if they were OK for Breguet, they’re fine by me. But... the tiny smidge of 6 on the 1934 original is a little odd. The hand length looks fine to me too, especially on a sector dial.

No, I’d have to find something else to put me off. Like funds.

Some watches just occupy my mind for a week or two. Pictures end up on my phone. They’re a bit more than passing fancies, but not ‘must have at all costs’. Price makes some a fantasy, some get bought further down the road.

I might log some of them here, as others are welcome to as well.
    Gorgeous. I agree that the smidge of the
    6 on the original is odd - and more off-putting than the half of a 6 on the modern version.

Looking at this Longines, it has hit me again that I’m not “seeing” most watches properly right now. This is perhaps because I feel so oddly divorced from my normal day to day routines. I think this is muting my response a bit to beautiful watches like this one where, normally, the thought of wearing this to work regularly would be strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    That's quite nice. Except for the cut off 6.
    I'm with you. IMHO, and with all respect to those who like the watch, that cut off number ruins it for me. I'd probably own this watch if not for that -- otherwise it is right up my alley.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500 | Sinn 356 Klassik | Sinn 856S UTC | Sinn 1746 Klassik | Sinn 6096 Finanzplatzuhren
    Instagram: @_radharc_

Here's an interesting approach (not affiliated with Longines) from a design point of view. At the end of the video, the problem of the '6' is addressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An4I6fk2N6k

13. Likes gnuyork liked this post