Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Anyone have a Peloton or similar?

Blog Entries

Anyone have a Peloton or similar?

I just ordered one and I was wondering if you had any opinions on whether to get shoes that clip in or to use the toe cages so I can use any pair of shoes. Everyone online seems to say the cycling shoes are the way to go, but no one seems to ever say why or what makes them better.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Unless you're one of those maniacs who pedal like bees wings and go 'hell for leather', the cages should be fine.
    The clip-ins (cleats) basically ensure you have little to no chance of losing your contact with the pedals at 'full throttle' and doing yourself an injury.
    There are those who also say (with clip-ins) you can pull up with the trailing leg at the same time as the front leg down stroke; though this is unlikely to be of concern unless you're hill climbing.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

3. Likes Raza liked this post
    I don't have peloton, but I have two bikes and I use clipless pedals (the kind that snap in). The cages you mention are called toe clips - hence clipless pedals for the kind that "clip/snap" in with a cleat and cycling shoes.

Either way I recommend the cycling shoes route for maximum efficiency.

5. Likes Raza liked this post
    You can do something like a Peloton for a hell of a lot cheaper. I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine smart trainer (that I got second hand) plus a cheap cyclocross bike, training mat, rising block and a trainer tire and use a training app called TrainerRoad. That setup costs me $600 plus $15 a month versus $2245 plus $39 a month.
    There are other apps like Zwift or Sufferfest that are similar and way cheaper then Peloton. It does take a touch more research and bikes are in short supply right now. But other then saving money the other advantages are you have a bike you can ride outdoors and it can be broken down and stored out of the way much more compactly then a Peloton.

Short version on shoes, go with a clipless shoe because the sole is stiffer allowing better power transfer, you get more efficiency when sprinting (which you would be doing in some workouts) and being locked to the bike prevents pedals slips which can be painful. Long version: As far as shoes/pedals, there are basically three kinds of pedals; flats, toe clips/straps and clipless. Toe clips/straps are basically only seen on retro setups and commuter fixies anymore. Flats basically come in three flavors, cheap ones you see on Walmart bikes (completely useless and terrible), freestyle BMX pedals and mountain bike pedals. I mostly ride BMX and mountain bikes so I have largely gone with those pedals plus Vans on BMX or 510 Freeriders on mountain bike. The advantage of good flats are basically it is easy to bail in a crash, being able to take your feet off for tricks and walking around off the bike. Clipless basically comes in two main types, SPD which is a mountain bike style and road (although I think there are a few different types of those but I don't really know road bikes). The big advantage of clipless is power transfer when sprinting (I have seen a number of tests where the only time you see any power difference is sprinting versus good flat pedals and shoes), not ending up with your shins covered in scars because you slipped a pedal and it is easier to get a bike fitted for you. All that is to say you do want cycling specific shoes because tennis shoes suck at gripping on pedals and if you are just planning on doing indoor training only, clipless is really the way to go. The only reason I'd go with nice flat pedals and shoes is if you are doing commuting on the bike as well and don't want to deal with walking in clipless shoes. My trainer bike is my only bike setup with clipless out of four (working on a fifth).
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 9, 2020 at 01:14 PM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

7. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Seems like clipless shoes are the way to go. Thanks, team.

9. Likes gnuyork, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Definitely clipless.

Also, if you can cancel the Peleton order, another vote for a trainer vs Peleton. I have a used road bike and a Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer. A lot more flexible use vs a stationary bike. And when you get bored, instead using your $3000 stationary bike to store clothes, you can just unclip your road bike and take it outside.

-- Wayne

11. Likes litlmn, 93EXCivic liked this post
    Blog Entries
    It’s too late to make a change now, I believe. I can live with the cost, even though it’s a lot.

13. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Dedicated cycling shoes are a must for any serious riding/training. The rigid soles give your feet proper support, and will keep you from getting cramps in your arches. If they're properly fit to your feet you'll avoid the blisters & sores you'll get from using street shoes for serious riding. Plus you won't wear out your street shoes.

Step-in cleats & pedals are the way to go since they give you the best purchase on the pedals and you don't have to worry about your feet coming off the pedals when you're pedaling hard. (Bust a shin on a pedal once and you'll know what I'm talking about.)
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

15. Likes Raza, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I just ordered one and I was wondering if you had any opinions on whether to get shoes that clip in or to use the toe cages so I can use any pair of shoes. Everyone online seems to say the cycling shoes are the way to go, but no one seems to ever say why or what makes them better.
    Sorry, I'm late to the party...having shoes that attach to the bike allow you to use your hamstring to pull one pedal up, while the other leg is using the quad to push the pedal down. I've never used a pelaton but I've attended many spin classes and used to participate in triathlons and I cannot imagine being able to do either well without clip in shoes. Lastly, many bikes have a strap on one side and a spot to clip in on the other.

17. Likes Raza liked this post