Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Perlon strap mini-review

Perlon strap mini-review

So, those of you who followed my other thread know that I purchased and installed a Perlon strap on my Omega FOIS:

Name:  2508f812ddf8a9b1a37d901e16228d89.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  44.4 KB

Several people asked me to post again once I had worn it and tell everyone what I thought, so here goes.

Overall, I like it. It's light and comfortable, especially in hot weather, and of course can easily be swapped out. I also like the fact that it acts more like a regular strap, i.e., you don't have to fold things back like with NATOs and Zulus. They're very adjustable since they don't have holes per se, you just pick the right spot, and insert the pin. And I like the looks of it with a tool watch like the FOIS. They are also inexpensive, which encourages experimentation. I might like to try a dark brown one with the FOIS, a la Iyonk's black dial/brown strap motif.

What don't I like? Probably the biggest thing is that with a relatively heavy watch like the FOIS, the strap can sometimes feel TOO light, if you don't have the strap reasonably snug, the watch feels like it wants to flop around. Too snug, of course, and the strap will dig in, so you need to find the right balance. If you prefer to wear your watches more loosely, you might not want a strap like this for a heavier watch. The second comment would be that the "no holes" thing can work against you, since you won't immediately have a clear indication of where the most comfortable place to put the pin in the strap is. I suppose over time putting it in the same place will create a small separation that you can identify. But it won't ever be as easy as "fourth hole in winter, fifth in summer" of a regular strap. Not a big deal for me, anyway, I can pretty much feel where I want it before I push the pin in. One other caution--I don't know if they come in different lengths, but mine was just barely long enough so that the tip tucked under the buckle and into the keeper. I have 7.25" wrists--someone with bigger wrists should make sure to check the strap length.

I'm definitely glad I got it, and it will stay on the FOIS at least for now. I think I will keep it on at least for the summer, but once cooler weather comes, I may switch back to some sort of leather strap. We'll see.

Overall verdict:

Pros: light, comfortable, very adjustable, easy swapping, lots of colors available, inexpensive, looks good

Cons: may cause heavier watches to feel top heavy or move around too much; no easy visual identification of the right place to put the hole, may be too short for big wrists

Thanks for the review, ml. Your watch looks great on the perlon. There are also one piece NATOs (known as RAF style), which do have holes in the strap and come in various lengths. You can find them at the NATO Strap Co., if you want to check them out. They still may not solve the issue of a heavier watch needing to be more tightly held on such straps, however.
    Last edited by JAGtime; Jul 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM.

3. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Thank you very much for the review.

5. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Look's Great! never seen any perlon where i life... i dont have thin watch since it would benefit the light combo nicely... and the 'fit anywhere' would be a bonus!

the reason i'm not fond with bracelet are the weight and my wrist contract during the day... it would be to loose when i'm in the room with AC and to tight when i'm outside..

thx for the mini review mlcor... btw, that handsome omega would look good on anything!

7. Likes mlcor liked this post
    The perlon works well with the FOIS. I have not tried one yet, but it is more a matter of finding the appropriate watch to put it on. I think I'd like it better than a nato for the same reasons you stated.

9. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Good review. I love perlons in the heat

11. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Looks terrific. I bought black, brown and gray perlon for my Speedie. I've found a big difference in perlon quality between what came with the Nomos Ahoi and what I bought for $7. I'd be interested in buying another higher quality perlon but it takes a little more digging for a good one.

Is the weight of the FOIS much different than a regular Speedie?

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Looks terrific. I bought black, brown and gray perlon for my Speedie. I've found a big difference in perlon quality between what came with the Nomos Ahoi and what I bought for $7. I'd be interested in buying another higher quality perlon but it takes a little more digging for a good one.

Is the weight of the FOIS much different than a regular Speedie?
    I wouldn't think so, but don't really know. I think the FOIS may be slightly smaller in diameter but not in thickness, which could make it a bit more toppy, but I'm just guessing. It's 39.7mm x 14mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk