Likes Likes:  28

View Poll Results: What type of collector are you?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movement Snob

1 3.45%
  • Gimme a watch with a Pedigree

0 0%
  • LUME LUME LUME!!!!!!!!!!

1 3.45%
  • History lover

3 10.34%
  • Looks-Yeah I'm shallow

24 82.76%
  • Version Control Freak

0 0%
  • One, Single Complication

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Poll!!!! What grabs you about a watch first?

Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    Ya know, I actually don't think this is the case for everyone. Some folks are beyond looks, like the Sub varuient collectors. They are out there evry day looking for a minor difference, and Movement guys have posted some wierdo looking watches for a unique movement.
    I hear ya' bro, that's why I did the IMHO thingy. I agree with you 100% that not all will go for looks first...but dang, the poll is unanimous at this point.

Imma take that as everybody wants to be like me since I voted first

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    I hear ya' bro, that's why I did the IMHO thingy. I agree with you 100% that not all will go for looks first...but dang, the poll is unanimous at this point.

3. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Considering you didn't include taste, I had to go with my second criteria. Looks (don't even get your laces wet in these waters...)

5. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsw41 View Post
    Can't participate because; it's price first, then all of the above. I can browse, but if it's too expensive, then it is just wishful thinking.

John
    I think availability and price are table stakes. I can want a great looking watch, but if only 5 of them have been made and they're sold out at $2M each, the reality is that I cannot have it.

7. Likes jsw41 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Are discussing "attention grabbing" about a watch that I am considering buying? Or is it just a watch that interests me in reading about.

If it's a watch that's a potential future purchase, it's pure looks first. If something grabs me, then I'll start looking at some of the other factors. But if it's just a watch I'm reading up on, it could be any of the above, as I find each of those categories interesting in its own right. For example, I'll appreciate an old American pocket watch, a vintage mechanical Patek, or a modern super-complication, but I won't necessarily have an interest in buying any of them.

9. Likes jraul7 liked this post
    Future purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed Brown View Post
    Are discussing "attention grabbing" about a watch that I am considering buying? Or is it just a watch that interests me in reading about.

If it's a watch that's a potential future purchase, it's pure looks first. If something grabs me, then I'll start looking at some of the other factors. But if it's just a watch I'm reading up on, it could be any of the above, as I find each of those categories interesting in its own right. For example, I'll appreciate an old American pocket watch, a vintage mechanical Patek, or a modern super-complication, but I won't necessarily have an interest in buying any of them.

Interesting thread!

Looks first because I have to like it... but to be honest I can't pic only one in the poll!

After looks, it will depend on its history, pedigree, or innovations (complications included). I won't buy a watch based on looks only... it has to have something else. For example, all of these I like because of looks and because:

1. Speedy Pro - history/pedigree/ innovation... first watch on the moon, able to withstand going to the moon , chrono... and in a slim case!
    2. Bremont Supermarine (and almost any other Bremont) - innovation, Trip-Tick case
    3. Sinn U1 - innovation, Submarine steel!!!!!!!!
    4. Seiko 6309 - history/pedigree/ innovation... workhorse movement for a great price... and hey, in-house movement!
    5. Any Rolex with GMT movement - innovation, probably the best GMT movement created.
    6. JLC Master Compressor Extreme LAB 2 - this one has everything, including a high 5 figures price... just check this out: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/in-dept...e-pics-pricing

There are a tons of other examples... but yeah, it can't only be looks, but looks (and size, it has to fit my wimpy wrists) is the first requirement, but not the only one.
    Joe

Omega / Rolex / Oris / Citizen / Seiko / Alpina / G Shock

12. Likes drickster liked this post
    uuum, can't say I have ever licked my watches......

Quote Originally Posted by bu11itt View Post
    Considering you didn't include taste, I had to go with my second criteria. Looks (don't even get your laces wet in these waters...)

14. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    uuum, can't say I have ever licked my watches......
    You wanna get to know a watch? Gotta use all your senses!

In all seriousness though, I actually have licked my watches. Mainly it's the crystal in an effort to help facilitate the removal of smudges.
    Chris:

16. Likes drickster liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bu11itt View Post
    You wanna get to know a watch? Gotta use all your senses!

In all seriousness though, I actually have licked my watches. Mainly it's the crystal in an effort to help facilitate the removal of smudges.
    Well, then. Now I have read it all.

18. Likes bu11itt, drickster liked this post