Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Behavior from my Snowflake...

Odd Behavior from my Snowflake...

As I pulled my Snowflake from my watch box this morning, I noticed something strange--the power reserve hand was stuck at about half charge, even though the watch wasn't running. Hoping I could get it going naturally, I gently shook the watch, but it was still dead as a rock. Wearing it for five minutes without setting it didn't do any good, either. And I usually no have no problem getting it to run without winding it.

The next test was to unscrew the crown and fully wind the watch--which also did nothing, even after a few more gentle shakes. Following that, I decided to see if the hands still functioned and the date changed properly (quick set and snap over at midnight). All was well. Only after I continued to rotate the hands around the dial did the movement start running again. And it has been fine since.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Spring Drive Seikos? Frankly, I'm a bit worried this is going to happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post
    As I pulled my Snowflake from my watch box this morning, I noticed something strange--the power reserve hand was stuck at about half charge, even though the watch wasn't running. Hoping I could get it going naturally, I gently shook the watch, but it was still dead as a rock. Wearing it for five minutes without setting it didn't do any good, either. And I usually no have no problem getting it to run without winding it.

The next test was to unscrew the crown and fully wind the watch--which also did nothing, even after a few more gentle shakes. Following that, I decided to see if the hands still functioned and the date changed properly (quick set and snap over at midnight). All was well. Only after I continued to rotate the hands around the dial did the movement start running again. And it has been fine since.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Spring Drive Seikos? Frankly, I'm a bit worried this is going to happen again.
    I haven't, no. When you got the watch going again, did the power reserve eventually get back to full?

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I haven't, no. When you got the watch going again, did the power reserve eventually get back to full?
    Yep. When I fully wound the watch, the power reserve indicated full, even though the watch wasn't running.

Yep. When I fully wound the watch, the power reserve indicated full, even though the watch wasn't running.
    Hmm. Well, it should go back to full when you wind it up, regardless of whether it's running. But the other behavior is a concern, at least if it repeats. Hopefully it was just a "ghost in the machine" situation and won't happen again, but if it does, you might need to send it in.

My experience with the watch is that it starts running when the power reserve indicator is even just a tiny bit off "empty" (which is normal because there's a reserve, however slight).

It's odd behavior for the power reserve indicator to show a charge (full; halfway; whatever), but have the watch be dead as a rock and refuse to run after winding fully (which is something that happened this morning). Does that make more sense?
    Last edited by Imitation of Life; Jul 20, 2015 at 03:09 PM.

If that happened to my Spring Drive I wouldn't hesitate to send it in. I know that sucks because you may be without for quit some time but I wouldn't be at ease hoping the issue will work itself out internally.

Quote Originally Posted by -JP View Post
    If that happened to my Spring Drive I wouldn't hesitate to send it in. I know that sucks because you may be without for quit some time but I wouldn't be at ease hoping the issue will work itself out internally.
    Yeah...I agree. I can't imagine the problem with sort itself out but who knows.

Is the watch under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Is the watch under warranty?
    Yes. It was purchased in November.

Yes. It was purchased in November.
    Given what you're saying, I think you need to resign yourself to sending it in. Bummer.

11. Likes CFR liked this post