Likes Likes:  62
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breguet Marine 5817 Big Date - Review with pics!

Just to parrot everyone else: cracking review and amazing pics - thank you. Have some rep. Really great content - please keep it up! You have others we'd love to hear about too.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Beautiful write up and great pictures. Love the black screws on your movement macro shots.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

4. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Awesome pictures and a great review. Always wondered what the movement on mine would look like super close up, now I know.

Two comments--I find that the watch on the bracelet actually wears a bit smaller than 39mm, I think because the long lugs blend into the bracelet--on the rubber, they stand out more. Also, I think the shape of the crown guards (which I also love, unique as far as I know) are a continuation of the marine theme, since they look like little waves. Just like the two small center links on the bracelet are offset from each other slightly, again echoing waves as they go around the bracelet.

Believe it or not, I've been waiting anxiously for your review and pictures--they were worth the wait (not that I ever doubted they would be).
    Interesting observations on the bracelet and crown guards mlcor, thanks. I'm going to find my set of small screwdrivers and see for myself how finicky the screwed bars really are. If its easy enough I might go for the bracelet as an option down the line. I have actually seen the Marine in store with a more "regular" looking bracelet but if I do go for one, the version you have with the vertical centre links is absolutely the one to have. Its certainly distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Just to parrot everyone else: cracking review and amazing pics - thank you. Have some rep. Really great content - please keep it up! You have others we'd love to hear about too.
    Thanks a lot Geoff! I think I've covered most of my watches by now... but perhaps a closer look at the Sinn 356 and the B&M Capeland might be in order. I don't think I've covered the Mr Roboto over here either...

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Beautiful write up and great pictures. Love the black screws on your movement macro shots.
    Thanks a lot for the kind words Nokie!
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

A terrific review of one of my fantasy watches - what's not to like?

7. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    Interesting observations on the bracelet and crown guards mlcor, thanks. I'm going to find my set of small screwdrivers and see for myself how finicky the screwed bars really are. If its easy enough I might go for the bracelet as an option down the line. I have actually seen the Marine in store with a more "regular" looking bracelet but if I do go for one, the version you have with the vertical centre links is absolutely the one to have. Its certainly distinctive.

Thanks a lot Geoff! I think I've covered most of my watches by now... but perhaps a closer look at the Sinn 356 and the B&M Capeland might be in order. I don't think I've covered the Mr Roboto over here either...

Thanks a lot for the kind words Nokie!
    Yes, I've seen the other bracelet--I'm sure it's nice, but not as interesting. Like you, I bought mine pre-owned, so I was just lucky.

As for the next in depth review, Mr. Roboto, please! That thing is just SO cool...

9. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    i dig it. at one point was considering this and a coupla others before settling on the daytona as a 'higher end sports watch'.
    how dya find the longer lugs?
    does it pick up scratches easily? its pretty damn shiny

11. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Outstanding! Review, photography...all first rate, and highly informative. Thanks for another great post, tempocalypse!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

13. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Simply stunning and a fantasy watch of mine for sure. Great write-up and those photo's are simply drool worthy! Congrats A LOT! I hope it is worn in abundant happiness and amazing health!
    B&M Capeland Flyback/Muhle Glashutte 29er Big/Grand Seiko SBGR083/JeanRichard Aquascope/UTS 1000m V2/Ebel 1911 BTR Cal137/Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso/Lew & Huey Acionna

15. Likes tempocalypse, iyonk liked this post
    Not only is that a great review with excellent photography and information, but it's one of my very favorite, and IMO, most beautiful watches of all time....thank you and congratulations!

Pure, simple, well executed elegance!

17. Likes RBrylawski, tempocalypse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    A terrific review of one of my fantasy watches - what's not to like?
    Thanks a lot tribe125!

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Yes, I've seen the other bracelet--I'm sure it's nice, but not as interesting. Like you, I bought mine pre-owned, so I was just lucky.

As for the next in depth review, Mr. Roboto, please! That thing is just SO cool...
    Haha alright, I'll get to Mr. Roboto next.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    i dig it. at one point was considering this and a coupla others before settling on the daytona as a 'higher end sports watch'.
    how dya find the longer lugs?
    does it pick up scratches easily? its pretty damn shiny
    The lugs are just fine for me. Actually come to think of it I don't think they are super long so much as they are relatively thick and agressive compared to the 39mm case. Check out the wristshot from the side. It hugs the wrist quite nicely.

As for scratches yes it it all polished SS so it picks up scratches quite easily. The case and lugs are pretty covered in lots of small scratches, not so apparent except under harsher light but they're there. Similar I would expect to a Daytona. I don't really mind scratches, my Nomos has picked up a few after these few years, but unlike other 2nd hand watches I've gotten like the vintage sub or the broad arrow, this isnt really a tool watch so I'm in two minds. I think maybe I'll have it polished at next service and then leave it be from there on in, so any future scratches will be MY scratches

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Outstanding! Review, photography...all first rate, and highly informative. Thanks for another great post, tempocalypse!

~Sherry.
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    Simply stunning and a fantasy watch of mine for sure. Great write-up and those photo's are simply drool worthy! Congrats A LOT! I hope it is worn in abundant happiness and amazing health!
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Not only is that a great review with excellent photography and information, but it's one of my very favorite, and IMO, most beautiful watches of all time....thank you and congratulations!

Pure, simple, well executed elegance!
    Thanks a lot for the kind words everyone I appreciate it.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

19. Likes iyonk, RBrylawski liked this post