Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod's New JR Is On The Wrist!

Rod's New JR Is On The Wrist!

For most of us here, can there be anything more exiting than to get a box delivered with a new shiny contained within? Of course there isn't! This is what I came home from work to find sitting on my kitchen counter:

Name:  IMG_1896.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  81.8 KBAttachment 25394

Ashford packaging is very nice. Included in the box was also a nice fabric tote bag, which is a nice addition! The little plastic sleeve on the left contains a nice soft lint free cleaning cloth, plus the Ashford, 2 year warranty card.

Further unpacking reveals:

Name:  IMG_1898.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  94.0 KBName:  IMG_1900.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  80.2 KB

I like the vintage retro watch box the JR comes in. It's different and yet functional as one could easily travel with the case, which is something most other watch boxes won't permit.

So, what did I see when I opened the box, huh?

Name:  IMG_1901.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  61.4 KBName:  IMG_1902.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  68.6 KB

Wow! My immediate reaction was it exceeded my expectations. The blue dial is simply stunning and the sunburst is amazing. I hope the pictures capture just how awesome the dial and bezel is! The watch is heavy 260 grams on the metal bracelet, but seems very nicely balanced.

A little break and a short drive to my watch guy to get the bracelet sized. I know, why don't I yet do this myself? Simple, when one is as OCD as I am, and never gets scratches on any of his watches, the chance I could scratch the watch or bracelet by my own doing isn't worth the worry. My watch guy knows how OCD I am and he would never scratch a watch of mine adjusting the bracelet. For $8 - $10, it's more than worth the expense. Plus he loves watches and I enjoy how excited he gets when I bring something new in.

Here are two wrist shots:

Name:  IMG_1904.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  61.2 KB

The watch is extremely comfortable. If I had any complaint with the bracelet, it would be that there are no half sized links (it only has whole links), but it worked out well for my 7 1/4" wrist, by just removing two links. And if I were a true diver, which I'm not and won't likely ever become, for a dive watch to not have the ability to accommodate a wet suit by simple adjustment, seems like an omission which leads me to think this watch is really designed to swim in, but not dive in. Again, that's fine for my needs, but if you're a diver, a real diver, consider this if you want the metal bracelet.

The bracelet itself is perfectly burshed and polished between each link. I can't find any mistakes in how it's finished. In fact, while it's not quite as fantastic as the bracelet on my Ebel 1911 BTR, it's pretty darn nice. The only other thing that might have made it just a bit more upscale would have been to have screw pins, as opposed to standard pins. But to me, that's a minor nit, hardly worth mentioning.

From the side of the watch, it too is finished impeccably. I love how the bezel (whcih by the way has the perfect feel and clicks confidently between the 60 clicks) is polished and brushed at each indent. It adds a lot of visual interest. And the modified cushion shape of the watch itself is brushed and polished to perfection as well! The JR on one link and JeanRichard on another is a nice touch. And crown is very nice with JR logo as well.

Name:  IMG_1905.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  42.5 KBAttachment 25403Name:  IMG_1907.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  45.4 KB

I'll end with two more shots. One a car shot from the drive home and two, it is a dive watch after all, so how's the lume? Pretty nice as this picture demonstrates:

Name:  IMG_1908.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1909.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  30.1 KB

All in all, I'm beyond impressed with this JR Aquascope. It's every bit worth the retail price as far as I'm concerned. But for the price I got this for from Ashford, it's an amazing value without any question!
    Last edited by RBrylawski; Jul 21, 2015 at 01:48 AM.
    B&M Capeland Flyback/Muhle Glashutte 29er Big/Grand Seiko SBGR083/JeanRichard Aquascope/UTS 1000m V2/Ebel 1911 BTR Cal137/Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso/Lew & Huey Acionna

Very nice and a lovely shade of blue.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Excellent photos! That dial is beautiful and such a perfect shade of blue.

4. Likes RBrylawski liked this post
    nice pickup. Out of my range but they look worthy of the price they fetch.

Wear it in good health my friend.
    Kody

6. Likes RBrylawski liked this post
    Nice pick up Rod. I like it a lot.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

8. Likes RBrylawski liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Excellent photos! That dial is beautiful and such a perfect shade of blue.
    Thanks, I do really like the blue dial and bezel a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Very nice and a lovely shade of blue.
    Thank you! At least you know your JR is on its way!

Quote Originally Posted by Ague Trading Co View Post
    nice pickup. Out of my range but they look worthy of the price they fetch.

Wear it in good health my friend.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Nice pick up Rod. I like it a lot.
    Thanks Cam!
    B&M Capeland Flyback/Muhle Glashutte 29er Big/Grand Seiko SBGR083/JeanRichard Aquascope/UTS 1000m V2/Ebel 1911 BTR Cal137/Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso/Lew & Huey Acionna

Beautiful dial and watch, Rod. Your JR looks great on your wrist Thank you for the mini-review. And, wear it in good health!

Jane

Beautiful!!! what an excellent score!!

look fantastic on you... enjoy with great heath and happy heart buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by JAGtime View Post
    Beautiful dial and watch, Rod. Your JR looks great on your wrist Thank you for the mini-review. And, wear it in good health!

Jane
    Thank you Jane!

13. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Beautiful!!! what an excellent score!!

look fantastic on you... enjoy with great heath and happy heart buddy!

Thanks. I love the sentiment of health and a happy heart! Yes I do!