Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP 03142

Last edited by Seriously; Jul 21, 2015 at 08:20 PM.

You seem almost happy to read that. If you've ever seen an eagle (of any type, really) in the wild, you would be instantly struck with awe. They are truly majestic.

Most commonly I see ospreys (fish eagles) on the rivers I like to paddle. They are a bit trollish as well: on more than one occasion of fishing all day from the canoe and catching nothing I have had an osprey smash down into the river in front of me and fly away with a very sizable pike. One time, it was only taken into a tree a few hundred yards away and I was afforded the opportunity to watch him or her eat the fish, ripping it apart with talons and beak as though the fish was made of putty. I don't see myself forgetting that one any time soon.

I've seen a few baldies in my time, including once so north in Ontario I was barely a 3 iron out of Manitoba (few hours' drive north of Fort Severn) and witnessed probably 6 or 7 bald eagles cajoling with one another in a large puddle, as you might see a handful of starlings or finches in a birdbath in your garden. They were all fully grown and I would say had wing spans of 6 feet or more. Very cool.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

That's a shame.

Henrietta, NY is less than 2 hours from my stomping grounds. My parents say there are some bald eagles now in their area.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianStraps View Post
    You seem almost happy to read that. .
    Nooooo , not at all... just saying, there it was, minding it's own business ... and then it was gone.
    (I'll put a shocked face in the original post to show my feeling.)
    I'm a huge animal/natural world lover

5. Likes Nokie liked this post
    That is sad. We inevitably have an impact on nature even when we don't mean to.
    Equally though, I suppose, the planet has blinked and moved on and there is now another oldest bald eagle. Circle of life and all that

7. Likes Seriously liked this post
    I hate it when I hit animals. I travel long distances on country roads and it happens all too often.

The road I commute is strewn with the bodies of badgers and foxes and I've hit a fox in the past..seeing these poor animals genuinely upsets me and can't help thinking they may have dens of young waiting for them to return

The plant I work in is surrounded by fencing and is swarmed with rabbits and a few foxes. The site comes alive in the small hours and I regularly see a fox with a rabbit hanging from its mouth and it will stop and give me a glance if I give it a whistle.

A few months ago I was walking the site..I heard a quite frightening high pitched screaming and suddenly two otters started running around my legs. Those buggers are big up close! They really had no interest in me and there seemed to be some sort of love chase going on, the chased otter was having none of it...I do wonder if the female was doing the chasing

10. Likes Chicolabronse liked this post
    That's too bad. Eagles and birds of prey are amazing in person.

Blog Entries
    Little happier ending here: eagle-freed-from-car-grill

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

Yay

There's a few bald eagles about this week