Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Vimpel? hints on judging authenticity?

Vimpel? hints on judging authenticity?

I'm dipping my toe into Vimpel watches. I've done some preliminary research, ordered one, and am about to bid on another. Seems like a good time to be educated on what to look for (markings on movements, correct dial patterns, etc.) The good news is that my initial foray is dirt cheap - but these things tend to spiral out of control, so I'd appreciate guidance.

The 10 biggest mistakes made in buying Vimpel's are:

?
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

I don't have a 'hands-on' experience with Vympel (though, I was born in USSR).

It's more often spelled Vympel, hope it might help you in your search.
    Here's an article on 2209 restoration, there is some useful info in comments.
    Just a pointer - gold plated watches had a steel back with gold grade stamped on the case,
    gold watches had a gold case back with gold grade stamped on the case and case back.

Name:  Vympel.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  40.9 KB

Good luck!

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Thanks for the reply. I had already found the restoration article - but the information on gold grade stamps was new.

Can anyone explain the implications of the DIAMOND (as opposed to PENTAGON - or even something else) marking on the movement? And, going further, what markings *should* be inside the diamond or pentagon?

I'm mostly interested in things that I can see in ordinary dial and movement photos - and maybe a pointer to a source of "legitimate" dial markings.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

will dig up some threads I did with movement list and pics and logos and such like give me a few minutes mate
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    http://www.netgrafik.ch/russian_logos.htm

Phil has a few explenations on his site mate.

9. Likes BlackNomad liked this post
    Very helpful - thanks.