Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royce Watch Roll

Royce Watch Roll

I bought a Royce "Leather Deluxe" Watch Roll on Amazon recently to provide some added protection for my watches during shipping (sent a couple out today for service) and because I thought it might encourage me to travel with a few watches, which I don't currently do. I'm usually a one-watch-for-weeks-and-weeks-on-end kind of guy. Here are just a few quick thoughts and pics for anyone in the market for something like this:

Initially I was looking at rolls on Worn and Wound and Hodinkee, the svelte canvas/leather placemats with little watch pouches that you roll up like a burrito. They're attractive and I'm sure they'd do the job just fine, but in the end, I thought this design might provide more protection. There are plenty of (I have to assume based on the prices) more luxurious, heavy, snazzy, and Louis Vuitton versions out there. For these, you'll pay $250-$860. In the looks and basic design department, they're nearly the same as the Royce, which will set you back $100 at Macy's, $60 at Amazon.

The RWR's packaging was a bit nicer than I'd expected. A card was included that said I could get a free, tiny leather good (maybe it was a suitcase address tag?) for free if I reviewed the product on their site.
    Name:  IMG_8434.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  119.5 KBName:  IMG_8435.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  24.8 KBName:  IMG_8436.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  30.1 KB
    My first impression out of the box was that the leather felt very soft and, for lack of a better word, delicate. Like if the watch roll were in my suitcase next to a set of keys, maybe the keys would abrade the surface. The RWR is marketed as "genuine leather," but there are many grades of leather. Maybe this is bonded leather. Maybe it's leather plated. Other than tearing easily, a possible downside to the not-terribly-rugged exterior is increased vulnerability to external forces. I'd think a thicker, sturdier leather would provide better protection. Aside from these points, which I think are pretty minor, the RWR seems to be well made, doesn't feel like it's gonna come apart in your hands. The interior is soft and looks like suede. Maybe it is. The button/clasp is magnetic and latches easily and is secure enough as long as the roll travels inside something else, e.g. luggage, brief case. Wouldn't strap it to the back of your bike.
    Name:  IMG_8437.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  28.4 KBName:  IMG_8438.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  38.5 KBName:  IMG_8439.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  28.9 KB
    If the internal tube was too soft, you wouldn't be able to secure multiple watches to it, but this isn't the case. The end caps are solid and covered with leather as well. When the case is closed there's enough head room for my average size watches. The tube fits firmly into the internal compartment and the roll closes easily with no gaps at the edges of the flap, indicating that it has been accurately cut and sewn together. You can probably fit up to three TAG Carreras and one and a half Hamiltons in the The Royce "Leather Deluxe" Watch Roll, which is made in China, and comes in black, coco, blue, and red. Recommended at $60 from Amazon.
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  114.7 KB
    Last edited by Ryan; Jul 24, 2015 at 08:24 PM.

2. Likes tempocalypse, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Nice one, Ryan! Seems like a good value at that price point.

I have a Seiko 3 watch box that I use occasionally, but it's a lot more bulky than yours in a suitcase:

I was expecting

Name:  3icmdwBSAapkorrsfrqg_phantom.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  36.1 KB

5. Likes popoki nui, Nokie, Ryan, Chase, tempocalypse, Donf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I was expecting

Name:  3icmdwBSAapkorrsfrqg_phantom.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  36.1 KB
    Me too.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

7. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Look pretty decent for the price. Lots worse out there for sure.....
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I've used this on several trips. It works, but it's probably best to not be fooled into thinking that it *protects* the watches against anything violent. I stuff it in my carry on bag which is configured as a camera bag - this roll approximates the size and shape of a lens, so it fits right in. I think it's important that my bag surrounds the case with extra, external padding.

For individual watches, I like these - by Oakley:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 18.45.05 .jpg
Views: 80
Size:  83.6 KB

They seem to provide good protection, and pack easily into those odd corners of a bag.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

I've got a couple of these =

http://www.designhuette.com/en/Watch...e44df921024b22

I couldn't bring myself to spend more.

I used to get these for free whenever I sent an Omega in for repair. But I so seldom pack a watch when I travel so I have had to find other uses for them.

My favorite use was born of necessity. How often I would want a pickle while on a flight, but, without a convenient way to carry one I was left bereft of dill satisfaction at 30,000 feet. Now that is a thing of the past.

[IMG][/IMG]

Yep, do that with your Royce roll.

12. Likes theague, tribe125, Ryan, geoffbot, OTGabe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    How often I would want a pickle while on a flight, but, without a convenient way to carry one I was left bereft of dill satisfaction at 30,000 feet. Now that is a thing of the past.

[IMG][/IMG]
    That might be the best thing I've read all year....

14. Likes Donf, OTGabe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I used to get these for free whenever I sent an Omega in for repair. But I so seldom pack a watch when I travel so I have had to find other uses for them.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's a pickle!!!!!!

It looks like a perfectly formed slightly, anemic slightly sweaty turd