Likes Likes:  59
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Oops

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    I have never agreed with testing the WR seals on a watch by trying to force water passed the seals. Why do that versus using air only. If water gets passed the seals then once again the movement would have to be removed and dried and whatever again. No?
    That’s not how the immersion test works (at least it’s not supposed to be!).
    You would normally (on the first run at least) do the test without the movement in the case to be on the safe side anyway in case there is a catastrophic failure of seals. You put it all in the chamber and seal it up and pressurise everything; then lower the case in the water. Then you lower the pressure in the cylinder whilst watching the case and if there are leaks air will bubble out of the watch, not water into it.
    The one I use is a dry one though, it measures minute deflections in the crystal at various pressures and works out whether it is safe or not. Doesn’t work on very high depth rated watches though as the crystals are too thick. The machine I have access to is good for 100m ratings only, it should be 200m but that bit is broken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Closure - got it serviced, went for a swim, didn't flood Attachment 101909
    So ....... are you living in Turkey now or just on a really long holiday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    So ....... are you living in Turkey now or just on a really long holiday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dunno! I don't have a house in England any more. Or a job or wife so... I might get bored one some day, who knows.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

4. Likes OTGabe, happyscrappyheropup, gnuyork liked this post
    Dunno! I don't have a house in England any more. Or a job or wife so... I might get bored one some day, who knows.

Your motorbike misses you.

6. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    You would normally (on the first run at least) do the test without the movement in the watch...
    Now this makes good sense! I didn't know. I do come here to learn.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Your motorbike misses you.
    Haha I miss it so bad!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    You would normally (on the first run at least) do the test without the movement in the case to be on the safe side anyway in case there is a catastrophic failure of seals. You put it all in the chamber and seal it up and pressurise everything; then lower the case in the water. Then you lower the pressure in the cylinder whilst watching the case and if there are leaks air will bubble out of the watch, not water into it.
    The one I use is a dry one though, it measures minute deflections in the crystal at various pressures and works out whether it is safe or not. Doesn’t work on very high depth rated watches though as the crystals are too thick. The machine I have access to is good for 100m ratings only, it should be 200m but that bit is broken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    If the air bubbles out, won't it have to be replaced by water?
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

11. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    If the air bubbles out, won't it have to be replaced by water?
    Not if excess air so to speak was put into the case first when it was suspended above the water and the chamber pressure was increased by pumping in more air.

If that extra air gets pushed into the csse and then bubbles back out the seals aren't right.
    Last edited by chuckmiller; Sep 28, 2020 at 04:50 AM.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

13. Likes OrangeSport, geoffbot, Pip liked this post
    G;ad your watch was sorted. All is well that ends well.

Turkish people are wonderful. Plus, given all there is to see in Istanbul and the surrounds and on top of that the amazing food, I think you might take a while to get bored! Just be wary if you are invited out to drink Raki - that stuff is poison and having only one or two shots is never an option.

Have you taken any ferry trips out to Princes Islands yet?
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

15. Likes geoffbot liked this post