Likes Likes:  77
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some musings on what's next

Blog Entries

Some musings on what's next

So, after Rick's newest acquisition, I'm rethinking the direction of my collection, again.

As a refresher, this is my current collection:

There are also a couple of Suuntos and a handful of other watches I'm planning to sell, so I'm not counting those.

I've been thinking a lot about where to go next. I like having a small collection. Much bigger than this, I'll feel pretty uncomfortable.

So this is what I've been thinking. There's one watch that's been my target for a couple of years now:

That would take me up to 6, which is beginning to push it. But, I'm not sure I want to reach my collection's solid state without adding one of the new case Monacos. They're just a little bit bigger than mine and have sapphire and 100m WR, so I'm not as worried about wearing them more often. Like, I don't even really feel comfortable loading or unloading the dishwasher without taking my Monaco off because it's so precious to me I couldn't bear if anything happened to it. When I say it's my grail, I don't mean that it's one of 50 "grails" which is just anything you want. You probably know the story by now, so I won't bother to retell it.

So I want to also get this:

That would take me up to 7, which is really pushing it. So I would probably have to let the Ranger go. That would leave me with a collection of two Omegas, two Monacos, and two "Rolexes" (fine, a Rolex and a Tudor), which feels quite nicely rounded. 2, 2, and 2. I like that.

If I find later on I can push to 7, I would pick up something dressy, or at least dressier. Maybe a Reverso or a Cellini or something like that. I still really love this Panerai, but it's really not what I'd call dressy:

What do you all think? Is this a good direction or am I being silly? Any suggestions for what that phantom 7th watch might be?
    Last edited by Raza; Sep 17, 2020 at 06:25 PM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

2. Likes Samanator, JAGtime liked this post
    I don't see any issue with that Panerai as a dressy watch. You could easily put it on a darker, more formal brown strap for a dressier look, but it seems versatile enough. I've always liked that one, personally, and it's what I would get if I ever bought a Panerai again (although I haven't got any plans to do so).

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    If it works for you and your happy then that's OK. I can justify nearly 28 sports watches which more than 20 are a divers of some kind, and that is also OK. Requires less thought to have more watches than less. With less there is always some hole to be filled. You then live with it or fill it. Which sometimes means more watches.

I like that Pam, but personally only like them with the crown guard.
    Last edited by Samanator; Sep 17, 2020 at 07:33 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

6. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    I like the Panerai. White dial is nice. I'd hold out for the Reverso though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I like the Panerai. White dial is nice. I'd hold out for the Reverso though.
    Yeah, the Reverso would be ideal. But I do worry about about how it'll wear on my somewhat larger wrist.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

I get what you’re saying about keeping the collection reasonable. You really have some heavy hitters there.

As for the future direction, I would flip the Ranger for BB GMT and add a Reverso. But that’s just me.

Sent from Maxwell Smart’s shoe.

10. Likes gnuyork, Raza, JAGtime liked this post
    It’s always the Ranger I feel sorry for when Raza is reconsidering his collection. Maybe I should adopt it.

But actually, I agree with Fantasio -

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    I would flip the Ranger for BB GMT and add a Reverso.

12. Likes Raza liked this post
    I like your tentative plan. I recently threw an offer on a BB GMT, but it didn't go through. I'm starting to dig that one. I do however, have a 42mm Pam en route so I don't think you could go wrong there. That being said, I've seen you comment mostly on the Monaco and the BB, so I would go with those and ditch the Ranger.

14. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Yeah, the Reverso would be ideal. But I do worry about about how it'll wear on my somewhat larger wrist.
    I like the Reverso choice too . . . larger wrists have a better chance for a good fit imo, ask me how I know

16. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Try one on and see, I do think the Reverso rectangle style can work for larger wrists, especially in a dressy situation. There is a large size, and that may suit your wrist. For my tiny wrist, the medium size was ideal.

18. Likes uchinanchu, Raza liked this post