Likes Likes:  77
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Some musings on what's next

I always felt the Zenith Elite UltraThin makes a nice dress watch and can be had in SS, or gold along with four or five dial color options. These are no longer in production, but they can be found at a decent price.

I've had these two variances:

Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The VC is a lovely thing - if this is the same one -

Attachment 101890
    Yep. Still miss mine sometimes, but I just couldn't justify keeping it given how infrequently I'd wear it in retirement...

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Yep. Still miss mine sometimes, but I just couldn't justify keeping it given how infrequently I'd wear it in retirement...

Looks like an everyday watch to me. I’d take it off for gardening - if I remembered.

4. Likes mlcor, hayday liked this post
    Looks like an everyday watch to me. I’d take it off for gardening - if I remembered.
    I agree that this could be worn daily, as long as one understood and remembered there are certain environments for which this watch should be removed from the wrist. Swimming comes to mind.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Blog Entries
    Rose gold for the everyday? I didn’t know you were a pimp!
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Not just for pimps. Gold watches are for old people, too.
    (In other words, I wear them...)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

8. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post

What a narrow and proscriptive life you young people lead.

10. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    I have to thank you Raza for this thread. Because of this it's helped my cut through the noise in my mind and decide on what is my what's next. Friday night I sat in on an Omega call with all the US Sales VP, Rob Caplan and a few of his other frequent Omega customers. The primary focus was on Omega's ceramic technology which I see as possibly the best in the world, but in the three hour call the last hour was on other topics. From that call I've resigned myself that I'm not going to be able to get 321 driven Speedmaster. What I want is a Speedy moonwatch that would be a modern interpretation of what real Apollo astronauts wore, not something with a 861 derivative that they are selling us on. I'm not a vintage person so while I have a nice 1968 one available to me that is not what I want. This being a brand new 321driven 42mm Speedy moon with a ceramic bezel. This is possible the only watch I've ever wanted a Display back on. I can throw out as a hint be on Omega's Instagram on Oct. 5 early if you want the next gen Snoopy. If you were not already slated one at an Omega AD about 6 months ago this may be your only chance. FYI it will not have a 321 but will use the a newer updated 3861.

I may get a Breiting Chronmat 42 someday, but I can wait for the newness to wear off, and it can be a year or two when the right deal presents itself. For now the only chronograph I see being in my collection at some point is a SS panda Daytona and only if I can buy it new from the AD.

The other thing I've figured out that has been constantly slapping me in the face while I've choose to ignore it is that I'm not a handwind watch person. If Omega build a speedy moon three register, not date master coaxial chronograph automatic that fit in the existing speedy moon case and had a ceramic bezel insert that is the real watch i want from Omega. These all have column wheel coupling which is the main advantage the 321 had over the 861. Omega is hinting this is what they are really working on and if you think about it if the space race started today this would be the type of watch they would present for certification. If it is then I'm happy to consider it especially if it has a white dial panda option.

Since everything I truly want is a year or more out I then started to focus on what was it that I might like. I love spring drive since I had my first 600mm back in 2008. As I've said in the past I don't see it as quartz anything. If it was then it would need a battery or solar cell of some kind. This is an electro mechanical self contained system that rely on wrist motion to make the watch function. It has no stepper motor just a unwinding main spring that is pulse braked to control the rate of unwind far better than any tourbillion can. The quartz crystal is just to give a timing reference to decide on how many brake pulses are required. I've had two service in the US without going back to Japan so that has gone away as an issue. This lead me to one of the watches I suggested in this thread to you which are the three new SBGE253, 255 and 257. I'm still debating the 253 verses the 257 but I know I want this watch. It's kind of a GS sports watch version of what has been in the rumor mill for the Explorer II the past three years. One of these is what's next for me. Sometime today I will know which one.
    Last edited by Samanator; Sep 28, 2020 at 08:31 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

12. Likes geoffbot, JAGtime, Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I may get a Breiting Chronmat 42 someday, but I can wait for the newness to wear off, and it can be a year or two when the right deal presents itself.

Breitlings without Breitling wings don’t look quite right to me.

14. Likes hayday liked this post
    Michael, I'm with you: this post helped provide clarity to my "to buy" list. There will always be watches that pique my interest, and there will likely be something that jumps the queue, but the next 5-7 years of watch buying gets more and more solidified.

The next purchases are: Steinhart Regulateur, Longines Evidenza small seconds (or an alternate tonneau or rectangular watch, right now it's between the Longines and the no-longer-made Tissot Lisboa), Zenith El Primero, and Zodiac Sea Wolf. The Laco Paderborn B Dial and Omega Dynamic chronograph are on the "maybe" list, and I've long desired a vintage Zodiac triple date.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, Raza.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

16. Likes JAGtime, Raza liked this post