Likes Likes:  86
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A hunting question.

A hunting question.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ly-hanged.html

A question for you hunters, how do you feel about this form of hunting?

Can you justify killing a Lion for sport?

I am not intending to question the whole general principle of hunting, particularly if you hunt and then eat what you kill, my question is purely about trophy hunting.
    This guy seems to have chalked up quite a number of trophy kills that have noting to do with anything other than killing and racking up animals killed .

Second question, are Americans forgiving or has he done serious damage to his business?
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post

Second question, are Americans forgiving or has he done serious damage to his business?
    He's getting death threats. Had to take his FB page offline and I believe he also had to close his office.

People have not been forgiving.

There's no question in my mind he knew or highly suspected it was an illegal hunt. He's been in trouble for illegal hunting before as well as fishing without a license. This is the kind of guy who gives hunting a bad name.

IF he didn't know (doubtful), then he's still guilty of gross irresponsibility. You pay $50k+ you better be sure you know exactly what you're paying for.

While I personally find trophy hunting distasteful, if done responsibly, it can be beneficial. Money from trophy hunts funds conservation efforts, and in many cases the culling is good for the species. Culling aggressive animals like rhinos by taking out older, less fertile males who are still dangerous to other rhinos can help numbers, rather than harming them.

How's that for fence-sitting?

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Jul 29, 2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

3. Likes scottjc, FuzzyB, MarkO, Ryan, Chicolabronse liked this post
    Question for MarkO. Do you think this damages the reputation of dentists, or will this merely confirm a prevailing estimation?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jul 29, 2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Typo

5. Likes geoffbot, Ryan, T Bone, Chicolabronse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Question for MarkO. Do you think this is damages the reputation of dentists, or will this merely confirm a prevailing estimation?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Jeannie, I don't see that as fence sitting just a balanced response. I agree managed culling is fine but there is no way there was a licence give for this kill. The whole thing of baiting the Lion off the reservation on to private land is just wrong.

DerAmf - do you mean that we are all borderline psychos then probably won't make a difference to the profession as a whole - just him. Must get back to encouraging Rasa to start a fire ......
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

8. Likes Der Amf, Donf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    ...DerAmf - do you mean that we are all borderline psychos then probably won't make a difference to the profession as a whole - just him. Must get back to encouraging Rasa to start a fire ......
    Don't sweat it, Mark. It's well known that Der Amf is a rabid anti-dentite.

10. Likes Der Amf, MarkO liked this post
    My sentiments echo that of Jeannie. I've hunted for food, never for trophy. Trophy hunting is not my thing, but I'm no so ignorant as to understand the benefits it has when done appropriately.

I had a friend that won an all-expense paid trophy hunt to a reserve in Africa once. I had gone shooting with him many times, and introduced him to the art of reloading. His prize was for him and a guest, and he invited me. I accepted immediately, but said that would bring a camera instead of a gun, and asked if I could shoot before he did. He took it the wrong way and withdrew the invitation. We patched it up, but not until he had returned and I didn't get to go. He didn't see a single lion, let alone shoot at one. I didn't want to rub salt in the wound, but I always found that to be an profoundly amusing result.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

12. Likes Ryan, FuzzyB liked this post
    Hunting in a legal and responsible manner is a good thing. The hunter hired local guides who told him they had permits and the required paperwork for a legal hunt. If they illegally lured the lion out of a preserve I highly doubt the hunter would know. I read that the local guide and land owner didn't have permits and are facing poaching chargers.

I find it interesting how society loves to jump from one social outrage to the next. The guy is getting death threats and PITA says he should be hung but none of these celebrities spoke up against Planned Parenthood who is killing babies and selling their body parts.

14. Likes Donf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Don't sweat it, Mark. It's well known that Der Amf is a rabid anti-dentite.
    Have I antidentally said something amiss?

16. Likes Ryan liked this post
    He should have to spend a few hours at the local zoo in the lion cage, covered with A1 steak sauce............
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx