Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all middle aged strap changers!

Calling all middle aged strap changers!

So, I decided to put the Omega Rallye strap back on my FOIS. I knew this would be difficult, because the strap is 20mm and has to be squeezed into the 19mm lugs. Last night I tried to put it back on--I got one half back on through dumb luck, but haven't been able to get the other half on.

The problem is, you can't maneuver the spring bar until it finds the holes by feel, because the strap barely fits in between the lugs--there's no way to wiggle the strap, it's too tight. Last night I thought I had done it, but this morning when I tested it, the one side popped off again because the spring bar wasn't seated in the hole.

Now, for the middle aged part--the strap does have cut-outs on the inside, so I can see the end of the spring bars, but my eyes aren't good enough to see close up enough whether I've got the spring bar actually in the hole. Normally, you don't need to see it, I guess, you can do it by feel. Not in the case. So, any suggestions?? If not, I'm going to continue and hope the blind luck approach works--the problem is, the only way I've been able to tell is to fiddle with the strap and see if the spring bar pops out again...

Here's a picture of the cut-outs, if that helps.

Name:  064fa50aec56ecef1ab94715a93c3f03.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  17.8 KB

Did you try the 'come in from the angle' method...ie try squeeze the spring bar into the wider part of the lugs and slide it back along the lug, into the hole

Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    Did you try the 'come in from the angle' method...ie try squeeze the spring bar into the wider part of the lugs and slide it back along the lug, into the hole
    Can't, again because the strap is so fat, and quite thick at the very top--you have to get the strap snugged up right against the case of the watch (and the strap is curved, as you can see from the picture) and so you can't start with the strap at any kind of angle, it's got to be straight on.

Blog Entries
    Thats a good method--what I normally do, actually, but not being able to feel the springbar pop into the hole is an issue. I don't think at any age you'd be able to see that.

Just press on the strap really hard and see how hard you can squeeze it to get some literal wiggle room.

However, I will note that too big straps on too small lugs come with some major security problems. Sometimes the strap can catch the shoulders of the bar and pull them right out. I've stopped squeezing bigger straps for that very reason.

6. Likes -JP, popoki nui, Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Reading glasses?
    Tried that--I do have a pair for when the lighting is really bad (otherwise, I'm lucky enough not to need them, even though I'm fast approaching my late 50's). Not enough resolution. My wife has a cheap little magnifying glass--even with that, I couldn't really tell whether it was seated correctly, and in any event I wouldn't be able to hold it and work on the watch. I wonder if a super-strong pair of reading glasses would act like a pseudo-microscope...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Reading glasses?
    Probably need one of those eye thingies. Something that makes you look like a Bond villain from the 70s.

9. Likes Colin liked this post
    Not that I've tried but could you perhaps drop the end into some boiling water and see if it makes the leather a little softer?

Blog Entries
    Not that I've tried but could you perhaps drop the end into some boiling water and see if it makes the leather a little softer?

I don't know if I'd stick leather in boiling water, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Probably need one of those eye thingies. Something that makes you look like a Bond villain from the 70s.

That's the scariest George Clooney picture ever. I have thought about a loupe, in fact. But then I'd want to use it to examine my watches in detail, which could only lead to heartbreak.