Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW-291 Quick Impressions

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DW-291 Quick Impressions

Until I saw a recent post by Sedi, I was blissfully unaware that Casio had come out with a successor to the venerable, slightly eccentric, much loved DW-290. Needless to say, I ordered one immediately and it arrived yesterday afternoon. I strapped it on for the first time today.

Like the DW-290, the DW-291 offers great value. 200m water resistance and a solid feature set for under $30. It seems solidly built, albeit not as indestructible as a G-Shock. But the price is 35% less than the most basic G-Shock.

Here are some quick impressions:

1. The DW-291 module has been upgraded in
    two main respects.

A. It has a world time feature, something the DW-290 lacks. In addition, in regular timekeeping mode you can quickly toggle through four different time zones you have pre-selected.

B. The DW-291 has five separate, independent alarms vs. the DW-290’s one alarm.

2. Like the DW-290, the DW-291 crystal is made of mineral glass. The DW-290 has a slightly raised bezel which would offer some protection for crystal. The DW-291’s bezel is flush with the crystal.

3. The watch is slightly larger than the DW-290 and its “rounded off square” shape feels more conventional than the DW-290’s stretched out hexagon.

4. The DW-291’s display is larger and crisper than that of the DW-290. It also contains two elements not present on its predecessor - a “moving graph” that shows the passage of seconds and refreshes every thirty seconds and a small analog clock in the upper right hand corner. They both provide a visual representation of the passage of time that, I think, registers in the brain differently than a digital display. Neither element is intrusive unduly cluttering or distracting, but both are a bit difficult for my aging eyes to see in low light.

DW-291

DW-290

5. The DW-291 strap, while not uncomfortable, feels a bit more “plastic-y” and less substantial the DW-290’s strap.

6. I measure the thickness of both the DW-290 and DW-291 at 14.3mm. But the DW-291 rides slightly higher on my wrist, likely due to the manner in which the strap attaches to the watch.

7. The buttons on the DW-291 are larger and more comfortable than those on the DW-290.

DW-291

DW-290

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kronos; Sep 24, 2020 at 05:25 PM.

2. Likes Sedi, Greg, rodia77, d2mac liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    I have been conscious lately of trying to limit the number of non-solar mid-price and higher quartz watches I own — battery changes get to be overwhelming.

Thanks for the overview. Can the analogue display be set to show a different time zone than the digital?

4. Likes d2mac liked this post
    Blog Entries

DW-291 Quick Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post

Well, in mitigation, if not in my defense, the DW-291 is advertised as containing a “10 year battery”!

Last edited by Kronos; Sep 24, 2020 at 07:15 PM.

6. Likes rodia77, d2mac liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the overview. Can the analogue display be set to show a different time zone than the digital?
    Apparently not. This “graphic area” (as Casio describes it) always shows the current home city time.

8. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    For me the DW-291 is more a Heavy Duty Version of the AE-1200.
    It shares all the functionality (which is great).

I opted for the same classic colorway!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

10. Likes Greg, Sedi liked this post

No but you can switch between 4 different time zones on the digital part of the display at the press of a button.
    Cheers, Sedi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    No but you can switch between 4 different time zones on the digital part of the display at the press of a button.
    Yep. It is pretty feature rich — especially at its price point.

13. Likes Sedi liked this post
    Blog Entries

DW-291 Quick Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    By the way, you can do this right in timekeeping mode. You don’t even need to switch to “world time” mode.

Last edited by Kronos; Oct 19, 2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo correction.

15. Likes Sedi liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Sedi -

Where did you find adapters for the DW-291?

I didn't use adapters. I simply bought a velcro strap for the AW-80 which has 18mm and is a perfect fit.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Origi...kAAOSw6vBdttSA
    Cheers, Sedi

18. Likes Greg, Kronos liked this post