Likes Likes:  92
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclists - what do you guys ride? And, perhaps the better question - where?

Cyclists - what do you guys ride? And, perhaps the better question - where?

I noticed we don't have a genuine, dedicated cycling thread on here.

I've been doing it for about 2 years now, seriously. Basically had to relearn how to ride a bike - but with pressure from my wife, and the lingering embarrassment that I was actually a 30 year old who was unsure on a bicycle, I gave it a shot. Now i'm pretty much a daily rider - few rest days in between. Completed my first century (actually about 105 miles) on Sunday in 30+ C weather. And probably going to try another next year.

All that being said we've now got 6 bikes at home, for two people. I ride a 2014 Trek Domane 4.3 as my primary road bike. A Trek Superfly as my mountain bike, and a ridiculously solid, aluminum, Marin Lombard cyclocross bike as a commuter. They're all a ton of fun in their own way, and, in my opinion just as addicting as watches (which is not good for my already cringing bank account).

And my commute home from work (to work is a lot more efficient, and a lot less beautiful).
    Name:  20150808_170808.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  205.1 KB

2. Likes is that my watch, hanshananigan liked this post
    I ride a 2004 Jamis Coda Comp Elite. It is paper thin steel and carbon fibre. It is more or less a 27 speed road bike with straight bars. Rigid, lightning fast, ultra-responsive and completely unforgiving. I love it.

My other bike is a 2007 Pashley Guv'nor. This is a faithful re-issue of one of their 1920s path racers with drop bars and drum brakes. Pashley even had Reynolds reproduce the tubing for it. In the 1920s Reynolds 531 was the equivalent of the newest composite material. It is the same alloy that would later be used in the E-Type Jags. The Guv'nor looks a lot like a big old cruiser but it is surprisingly fast and tolerably responsive and the drum brakes are a ton of fun, if not overly effective.

4. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I ride a 2004 Jamis Coda Comp Elite. It is paper thin steel and carbon fibre. It is more or less a 27 speed road bike with straight bars. Rigid, lightning fast, ultra-responsive and completely unforgiving. I love it.

My other bike is a 2007 Pashley Guv'nor. This is a faithful re-issue of one of their 1920s path racers with drop bars and drum brakes. Pashley even had Reynolds reproduce the tubing for it. In the 1920s Reynolds 531 was the equivalent of the newest composite material. It is the same alloy that would later be used in the E-Type Jags. The Guv'nor looks a lot like a big old cruiser but it is surprisingly fast and tolerably responsive and the drum brakes are a ton of fun, if not overly effective.
    Just too a look at Pashley's website. They make a ton of really awesome bikes - a lot of old school, designs, but with some modern nods to convenience and reliability. Very cool. Prices are more than reasonable as well. Good thing no one in Edmonton sells them... 7 bikes for two people is, frankly, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    Just too a look at Pashley's website. They make a ton of really awesome bikes - a lot of old school, designs, but with some modern nods to convenience and reliability. Very cool. Prices are more than reasonable as well. Good thing no one in Edmonton sells them... 7 bikes for two people is, frankly, ridiculous.
    I had to special order mine. I ordered it early in the summer of 2007 when it was released and got it just before summer in 2008.

They are rock solid too. Nothing flimsy like the Electra retros. Pashley still makes work bikes and everything else is built similarly. I have a bit of a hankering for a fully kitted Clubman, but I don't really need another.

My wife rides a Batavus Old Dutch, which is even heavier than the Guv'nor.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Aug 13, 2015 at 04:22 PM.

7. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    My wife's Batavus. Electra used to make a knockoff of this, but there's was so dangerous it was recalled. The real thing is a sturdy beast.
    Name:  2788_78229988706_3475890_n.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  81.1 KB

I had to special order mine. I ordered it early in the summer of 2007 when it was released and got it just before summer in 2008.

They are rock solid too. Nothing flimsy like the Electra retros. Pashley still makes work bikes and everything else is built similarly. I have a bit of a hankering for a fully kitted Clubman, but I don't really need another.

My wife rides a Batavus Old Dutch, which is even heavier than the Guv'nor.
    Yeah, the Clubman Country caught my eye. Seems like that'd be a lot of fun to ride long distances. Very comfortable. Probably not the lightest or fastest thing on two wheels - but I love the retro aesthetics, and I imagine it's the kind of bike where you end up going deceptively fast.

I've been looking at a couple, similar, custom built bikes in that style. Mostly made out of Titanium. With the intention that it'd end up as my 'lifetime' bike. Something to keep forever, as various carbon speedsters come and go.

Yeah, the Clubman Country caught my eye. Seems like that'd be a lot of fun to ride long distances. Very comfortable. Probably not the lightest or fastest thing on two wheels - but I love the retro aesthetics, and I imagine it's the kind of bike where you end up going deceptively fast.

I've been looking at a couple, similar, custom built bikes in that style. Mostly made out of Titanium. With the intention that it'd end up as my 'lifetime' bike. Something to keep forever, as various carbon speedsters come and go.
    I think so. Pashley's roll so beautifully and the weight just keeps them rolling. It only takes the slightest downhill grade to break the city street 40 k speed limit on the Guv'nor and the Clubman would be a fair bit faster full out, I would imagine.

My wife's Batavus. Electra used to make a knockoff of this, but there's was so dangerous it was recalled. The real thing is a sturdy beast.
    Name:  2788_78229988706_3475890_n.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  81.1 KB
    that looks like the Rado of the bicycle world Henry

12. Likes Henry Krinkle, FuzzyB liked this post
    I ride a steel frame (Reynolds 731) Jamis mountain bike, and my roadie is this (custom columbus steel frame):

Last edited by gnuyork; Aug 13, 2015 at 05:35 PM.

14. Likes Henry Krinkle, popoki nui liked this post
    I noticed we don't have a genuine, dedicated cycling thread on hereName:  20150808_170808.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  205.1 KB
    http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...highlight=haro