Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Feature - Please Test

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar

New Feature - Please Test

I've added a Mentions plug-in to the forum and it seems to be working without causing any other issues. To tag someone, just place an @ symbol ahead of their username like this @OTGabe. The user should get an email with a link to the thread and a notification at the top of the page. There are also options to allow notifications/emails when you quote someone, but that would likely be a bit excessive. I do have the option to enable notifications for quoting without sending the email, but given the relatively small amount of posts here, I'm going to leave it off unless a lot of people think it would be useful.

I have not tested with Tapatalk but there's a good chance it won't work. I can't really do anything about that either way!

Give it a try (feel free to tag me) and let me know if you experience any problems or see other parts of the forum that have broken due to this addition.

2. Likes rodia77, crownpuller, skywatch liked this post
    Ha, thanks Gabe!
    I'll tease @CFR now.

As for the notifications, if the feature doesn't put a significant load on the engine or add to your admin workload, it's always better for users to have the option and be able to decide for themselves. I use those on other forums but I won't be surprise if I'm in the minority.

4. Likes CFR liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    @rodia77, unfortunately there are no user level options for this plug-in. I have sitewide options to enable mentions and quotes, and the associated emails and/or notifications. Since the mentions have to be done with intent, I don't imagine that they would be too bothersome. But the quotes could be quite annoying with no option to turn them off.

6. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    But the quotes could be quite annoying with no option to turn them off.
    Agreed. And the mentions are working.

I've added a Mentions plug-in to the forum and it seems to be working without causing any other issues. To tag someone, just place an @ symbol ahead of their username like this @OTGabe. The user should get an email with a link to the thread and a notification at the top of the page. There are also options to allow notifications/emails when you quote someone, but that would likely be a bit excessive. I do have the option to enable notifications for quoting without sending the email, but given the relatively small amount of posts here, I'm going to leave it off unless a lot of people think it would be useful.

I have not tested with Tapatalk but there's a good chance it won't work. I can't really do anything about that either way!

Give it a try (feel free to tag me) and let me know if you experience any problems or see other parts of the forum that have broken due to this addition.
    Actually, using the @ symbol has always worked in Tapatalk--I get a notification if someone mentions me. Almost the only thing that does work in Tapatalk.

9. Likes OTGabe, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Ha, thanks Gabe!
    I'll tease @CFR now.

As for the notifications, if the feature doesn't put a significant load on the engine or add to your admin workload, it's always better for users to have the option and be able to decide for themselves. I use those on other forums but I won't be surprise if I'm in the minority.
    Got, it.

11. Likes rodia77, OTGabe liked this post

@OTGabe - mentions are working. Thanks!

13. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@OTGabe Thanks for all your good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Blog Entries
    @OTGabe - thanks!

Do you have to use the username exactly, caps and nocaps?

Dan

17. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    @Dan R -- checking, also to see if spaces are processed correctly.

Edit: They are, and you can use whichever case you want, it's fixed after posting.

19. Likes OTGabe liked this post