Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I trash my UG Tri-Compax?

Angry Did I trash my UG Tri-Compax?

This was recently serviced. Last night I wound it and set it aside (running). This morning it's dead.

The crown won't wind any further (fully wound). The seconds sub register isn't running and the chronograph won't run.

I've tried pressing and de-pressing all the buttons and pushers. Winding the hands forwards and backwards, Gentle tapping on the table, shaking, rolling.

Nothing... It just seems stuck. What can I do?

I think I accidentally trashed a very attractive and recently working old chronograph :-(

Name:  62333972632__B4C082EE-DC17-45FF-8D13-EB34269889AE.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  95.8 KB

have you tried moving the hands at all ? if a bit tight could be stopping it working very likely not try setting it between 4pm and 8pm to see any diff ? or some dirt could be blocking some where so gentle moving the hands could free this
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Leading question: At what point/time does the day click over ?

Was this before you set it aside or after ?
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

you say recently service wonder if the tension on the minute jumper is too much how recently serviced and did they say they would warranty their work for any length of time ?

and just for funzies try turning the watch upside down and try pushing the pusher a few times first starting then stop the chrono counter
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

good read here on model info .
    https://www.timepiecechronicle.com/f...x-1944-to-1949

Ref. 12253

Universal Geneve Tri-Compax Ref. 12253. Photo courtesy of Watches of Knightsbridge.

This Tri-Compax is very similar to the above Ref. 12251 and the Ref. 12551 down below expect it has a slightly different style of lugs and slightly more pronounced pushers. The dial of this one is unfortunately quite worn but you can still see the blue tachymeter and minute track running round the dial. The applied stick markers just about touch the edges of the hour sub dial which is slightly larger on this model with only a small amount of room between each of the sub dials to squeeze in Tri-Compax.
    The moonphase had faded somewhat but you can still still the eyes of the cartoon moon showing that it hasn't been replaced over the years. This 35mm case housed the Caliber. 481 inside.

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I’ve tried winding the hands around. They move ok but the action doesn’t “unstick” anything.

The day rolls over at about 11:25 and clicks at 12:00.

The chrono doesn’t run at all (even face down).

Serviced about 2 weeks ago. I’m sure if I pressed, they’d take it back. They’re reputable and have done other chronographs for me in the past.

I’m just upset at myself... manly for my own stupid obsession with unnecessarily complex antique chronographs and expecting them to be reliable and inexpensive. How foolish can you be?!?

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    I’ve tried winding the hands around. They move ok but the action doesn’t “unstick” anything.

The chrono doesn’t run at all (even face down).

Serviced about 2 weeks ago. I’m sure if I pressed, they’d take it back. They’re reputable and have done other chronographs for me in the past.

I’m just upset at myself... manly for my own stupid obsession with unnecessarily complex antique chronographs and expecting them to be reliable and inexpensive. How foolish can you be?!?
    not really chrono are overly touchy little things and setting and cleaning them they can be finicky something left slight to lose or to tight and it can work right for days months etc then doing something at the wrong time of day or pushing the pusher not cleanly and their they go playing up .

I swore off touching the inside of chrono after I broke mine while trying to fix a friends one last year love me a chrono mix but just do mainly quartz as cheap to swap out movements on
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    good read here on model info .
    https://www.timepiecechronicle.com/f...x-1944-to-1949

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    That’s a nice one to my eye. Mine’s a rose gold plate. If you like these you should track down Salas book. A very comprehensive reference...
    Name:  IMG_6821.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  66.9 KB

just a pass fancy as way out side my price point

only really obsess over the ones I can afford
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post

Just a thought - The cam may have caught the tip of a tooth on the day wheel - That'll jam it.
    Can you wind the hands to progress the day/date ?
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

11. Likes morningtundra liked this post