Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I trash my UG Tri-Compax?

Yes I can wind the hands round 24 hrs and the date disc will roll over ok.

2. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    Blog Entries
    You need to take it back. Sounds like it got caught in the full wind condition. There is a name for it, but it escapes me. Essentially, when wound tight, the click (I think) gets jammed against the main barrel;. It can't unwind and therefore no power it released. You can spin the hands and press all the buttons you want, but since power won't get to the balance wheel, it won't run. I have one regular watch that is like this. You have to open the back and unjam the click (I think) so it will work. Problem is, once it does it, it will do it again. I think the trick is to not fully wind it.

Report back!

Dan

4. Likes morningtundra liked this post
    That sounds exactly like what I’m seeing... will let you know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    That sounds exactly like what I’m seeing... will let you know.

Here is a website that seems to explain it: Minimal explanation, but there it is is.

http://www.howwatcheswork.com/watch-...overwound.html

Blog Entries
    Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Any updates?
    It’s being returned this week at no charge. Apparently “a screw had come loose”...

It’s being returned this week at no charge. Apparently “a screw had come loose”...
    Alot of time this is the answer i guess

Come loose or as i posted not tighten enough some work loose unless well tightened from memory
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries

Glad to hear. Thanks for the update!

Dan

I have experienced this once myself. I bought a "recently serviced" piece and I don't remember why now but I had taken it to a watchmaker for some reason. He removed the caseback while I was standing there and a screw fell out. That screw probably wasn't tightened enough on the last reassembly and backed out. It was a rather long screw which would require more than one or two rotations and that got me to thinking. Imagine the forces the entire movement is subjected to and what it took to rotate that screw. I have viewed my share of movement assembly videos and not once did I see any screw getting any substance applied to lock it into place. You would think they would need that.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    I have experienced this once myself. I bought a "recently serviced" piece and I don't remember why now but I had taken it to a watchmaker for some reason. He removed the caseback while I was standing there and a screw fell out. That screw probably wasn't tightened enough on the last reassembly and backed out. It was a rather long screw which would require more than one or two rotations and that got me to thinking. Imagine the forces the entire movement is subjected to and what it took to rotate that screw. I have viewed my share of movement assembly videos and not once did I see any screw getting any substance applied to lock it into place. You would think they would need that.

Having serviced my own watches, a snug tightening seems to work. The slots on the screws are so small and they are so easy to bugger up. Any use of something like loctite would be a crime. The crown has one of the highest forces applied to it, and due to the direction of the rotation, never comes loose. I could be speaking out of line, but if a screw backs out, it was not properly seated to begin with.

Dan