Likes Likes:  77
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A watch for where you are in your life

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Congrats Michael - great watch. I reckon I could wear that one.

I have just ordered the perfect watch for myself. Just passed my padi scuba course and I'm single so a "submariner, no date" will do me.

Many many thanks to the IWL member who helped me to obtain this (as yet not delivered) unobtanium piece for a very reasonable price considering. I would appreciate it if they would identify themselves, but it's down to them to reply 'no probs bro.'
    Oh wow geoffbot, very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeee, the way to go

2. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    The blue dial two tone Sub is a such classic watch. It definitely telegraphs a certain status message, and maybe even a time in life. Congratulations on another serious addition to your collection!

I notice you are also polling the group a bit, so I'll play.

As for my own sense of a "where I am in life": I think I prefer to stay a bit below the radar. I have always worked for myself, so retirement isn't really an option, unless I become incapacitated. So maybe my slapdash hoard of medium-nice watches actually captures my time in life perfectly. Nothing highly symbolic or recognizable to casual observers, just subtle things I like to wear. Simple thin watches like my Nomos or the Chronoswiss Sirius might capture my vibe pretty well I guess.

That's a very nice watch, so clean and simple and mesmerizing to my eyes . . .

4. Likes skywatch, Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    That's a very nice watch, so clean and simple and mesmerizing to my eyes . . .

Warm thanks to you!

... and big congratulations to Geoff!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

6. Likes uchinanchu, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    OK. That would be me and your welcome for the assist with the Sub. It ties well with the theme of the thread. It will be on it's way when you say so. I'm looking forward to seeing it on your wrist.
    You're a gent Michael, you did me a massive favour here and I will pay it forward, hopefully to you, but if not then like you said just to anyone. Pure altruism - very rare. Top class chap
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Well, it’s about time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me about it! 5 years since my last purchase. Whether I keep the AT is tbc

Just passed my padi scuba course and I'm single so a "submariner, no date" will do me.
    I hope everyone got this joke BTW...
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

9. Likes Samanator, skywatch liked this post
    You're a gent Michael, you did me a massive favour here and I will pay it forward, hopefully to you, but if not then like you said just to anyone. Pure altruism - very rare. Top class chap
    I believe in helping when I can. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    The blue dial two tone Sub is a such classic watch. It definitely telegraphs a certain status message, and maybe even a time in life. Congratulations on another serious addition to your collection!

I notice you are also polling the group a bit, so I'll play.

As for my own sense of a "where I am in life": I think I prefer to stay a bit below the radar. I have always worked for myself, so retirement isn't really an option, unless I become incapacitated. So maybe my slapdash hoard of medium-nice watches actually captures my time in life perfectly. Nothing highly symbolic or recognizable to casual observers, just subtle things I like to wear. Simple thin watches like my Nomos or the Chronoswiss Sirius might capture my vibe pretty well I guess.

Having met you in person those suit you. Great to see some respond.

Cheers,

Michael

12. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Send it to me - I’m not a million miles from Geoff’s last known location. He could check out the wrist shots, if he doesn’t mind me re-sizing the bracelet.

Oh no, hang on... I’d have to stump up the import charges...
    That you will need to work out with Geoff.

Cheers,

Michael

Congratulations for the certification and for the incoming watch!

Welcome to the club, says another SubC ND owner and PADI AOWD.

Just passed my padi scuba course and I'm single so a "submariner, no date" will do me.

15. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    I don't think I can bring it down to one single watch. I have some time now to stop and breathe. If I find myself vacationing around water the Seamaster handles it. If I'm spending hours and hours outside at night for any reason I have watches that make their own light. If I'm at a formal affair the gold Constellation fills the wrist. When the days come around where I'm sitting on my ass and thinking about that 30 year period I have that watch to keep me company. I couldn't have had these things 30 years ago so as a collective they represent where I am in my life, to this point in time.
    As I said one or group. Thanks for sharing your group. I don't think I could do a single watch again, but given the low frequency of human interaction these days this would be a common site on my wrist for those times that I do. I doubt it would be my common beach morning watch and actually go on probably 100 dives like it's predecessor, but it would fit well for an evening walk on the fishing pier with my wife, diner out and even for a round of golf. To me it conveys that I'm comfortable with my life and have a bit of a sporting side. To many it says older man watch which is kind of funny since when I had my first one it was mostly being worn by young men. My military career was my first job out of college, and my current role will most likely be my last full time job so it makes a perfect set of book ends.
    Cheers,

Michael

17. Likes skywatch liked this post