Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Seiko Solar is Kaput

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seiko Solar is Kaput

This Seiko has been given a sun bath for many days. Right after, it will run for a few hours before stopping.

I assume the solar cell has failed? The watch is easily ten years old, perhaps more. The question is whether or not the cell can be replaced and, if so, is it too expensive to justify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that the solar cell can probably be replaced, but I don’t know at what cost.

You need to talk to Seiko.

Blog Entries
    I would be inclined to suspect the capacitor instead of the solar cell, and those can usually be changed out rather easily (not as easily as a battery, alas.) Ten years is about typical for capacitor failure. If you can't get it to Seiko service, many good watch repair shops should be able to do it.

In any case, you might need a new watch, and I think I know a large sporty Momo Design with your name on it!
    (Oops, I spent one of my 11 posts. 10 left now.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes Sedi, happyscrappyheropup, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I would be inclined to suspect the capacitor instead of the solar cell
    I'd agree with ^^^ that. My Junghans Solar 1 went the same way - full day's sun charge, then last about an hour. Capacitor was replaced (cost £12 around 2001 - probably a fair bit more now) and back to normal.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

well depends if just a standard solar then be no diff from changing a normal battery probably a ctl 1616 depends on model it comes down to whether it's worth doing.

I spent £13 quid on a ctl1616 batery for this .

now trying to flog it on and my best offer so far was £12 quid
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes iyonk liked this post
    @Kronos: On the caseback you should have the model designation (2 x 4 chars), of which the first four will be your movement/calibre. I suspect it's V157 or V158, and it that case your replacement capacitor is Seiko 3023 24Y or an equivalent (eg Panasonic MT920). I found them for $8 here, but obviously do your own research before buying anything.

9. Likes Kronos, Pip liked this post
    just wondering i had a seiko solar that was like that turn out after I bought a new battery that the old one could have just got dislodge and was not connecting properly still used the new battery as had it open but keep the old one just in case was thinking the ctl 1616 is probably more digital ones then anything as know they use them in a lot of casio but probably not this model maybe as their are several differences of how they connect depending on type some just slot in like normal batterys , some their is a little fork you slot around a bar (some will have a screw too to secure in place but not always) some have a fully plate that goes over the battery, but as when new they are like £160 new or was and if a keeper cheaper to buy a battery then buy a new watch and think have they stop doing the model with that dial ? .
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

11. Likes Kronos, Pip liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    @Kronos: On the caseback you should have the model designation (2 x 4 chars), of which the first four will be your movement/calibre. I suspect it's V157 or V158, and it that case your replacement capacitor is Seiko 3023 24Y or an equivalent (eg Panasonic MT920). I found them for $8 here, but obviously do your own research before buying anything.
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate the info and the research!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    BTW, I now ID'd your watch, it's SNE087 with the cal. V157.

15. Likes Kronos liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I would be inclined to suspect the capacitor instead of the solar cell,
    The flux capacitor?! Say it isn't so, Doc Brown.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  10.9 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

17. Likes skywatch liked this post