Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver dial + gold case + black strap ... any photos?

Silver dial + gold case + black strap ... any photos?

Could the problem be the straps?
    The stock photos are a narrow range of shiny padded croc.
    Lizard is nice against subtle dial detail, and an appropriate level of padding also keeps the eyes on the watch
    Also, I like the play of slightly matte black croc against a shiny dial

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438505723.756163.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  65.8 KB
    Hirsch Alligator Embossed

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438505745.304714.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  50.4 KB
    Hirsch Regent (croc, matte due to natural variation)
    Last edited by OhDark30; Aug 2, 2015 at 08:57 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Mobile posting is doing my head in...

Longines do some nice classic style gold watches on black leather.
    Try "Heritage" In the search (on my phone so copying and pasting image links is a pain).

In fact that's kinda what my head tells me when I think gold on black.
    It isn't dated, or cheap, or eighties; it is traditional.

That's possibly why you find the old and now very expensive houses doing it more and probably why Longines does it too.

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post

Silver dial + gold case + black strap ... any photos?

By eye (having zero photoshop skillz), holding the Regent against your Luch looks very sexy
    Got my strap in the (national) watch concession in House of Fraser - maybe pop in and try one out?

Edit: and yes, the Luch looks killer on black. As you say, it gives the gold room to come alive
    Last edited by OhDark30; Aug 2, 2015 at 09:10 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I had the opportunity to look at the same watch on black and brown strap. I chose this .....

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438508378.740586.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  74.4 KB

On this piece, the black made the watch dressier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    The answer I've always been given when I've asked this exact question is that, at least for rose gold, manufacturers think brown gives the watch more warmth and makes it more attractive. When you see a black strap with a quality gold watch, invariably it's yellow gold, not rose. See, e.g., Patek, Chopard, etc.

This is the reason I am still wanting a silver colored dress watch, so I have something dressy with a black strap to wear with suits when I'm wearing black shoes/belt.

One final thought--there are lots of different shades and formulations of rose gold. I think my Maurice Lacroix would look OK with a black strap, but my VC's rose gold has a redder hue and I don't think it would look good with a black strap at all.

Name:  Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Small 2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  39.0 KB Name:  VC Wrist 4 Small.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  63.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    The answer I've always been given when I've asked this exact question is....
    What question? I know why they put those watches on brown straps, and I've no argument with it. On the other hand, I have to wear black or charcoal grey suits a lot and brown strap with them is just yukyukyukyukyuk. So I'm just wanting to see how this particular option looks.

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    This is my father's watch...

Its actually on a brown strap but the colour filter I ran it through has darkened giving you an impression of what it might look if the strap were black.

Yep, cheap fashion watch

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Yep, cheap fashion watch
    Haha, the book in the background is Hodinkee reprint of Breguet by David Salomons (greatest ever Breguet collector and last private owner of the Marie Antoinette watch). He mentions in the book that while Breguet was almost universally acclaimed, there were one or two jealous individuals who derided him

".... one or two others who said that Breguet only made watches for the fashion and not for the sake of scientific principles." referring to the fact that his watches were often very thin, and thus not as well built

(The author contends that the skill and precision with which Breguet and his craftsmen built the watches meant the thin plates, or lack of fusee did not compromise the integrity or precision of the watch.)
    Last edited by tempocalypse; Aug 3, 2015 at 07:07 PM.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

12. Likes Der Amf, whatmeworry liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    The answer I've always been given when I've asked this exact question is that, at least for rose gold, manufacturers think brown gives the watch more warmth and makes it more attractive. When you see a black strap with a quality gold watch, invariably it's yellow gold, not rose. See, e.g., Patek, Chopard, etc.

This is the reason I am still wanting a silver colored dress watch, so I have something dressy with a black strap to wear with suits when I'm wearing black shoes/belt.

One final thought--there are lots of different shades and formulations of rose gold. I think my Maurice Lacroix would look OK with a black strap, but my VC's rose gold has a redder hue and I don't think it would look good with a black strap at all.
    I went and prodded around the VC website and instagram account. *usually* they put a silvered dial / RG case on a brown strap, but sometimes...not:

A couple of vintage watches:

14. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I went and prodded around the VC website and instagram account. *usually* they put a silvered dial / RG case on a brown strap, but sometimes...not:

A couple of vintage watches:

Looks pretty good to me (how could it not, with those watches). But I don't think I'll be itching to try a strap swap on my Traditionelle any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes Der Amf liked this post