Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I never satisfied?

Why am I never satisfied?

One year I'll want to have 20 watches and the next year I'll convince myself that 5 is more than enough and the sell-off begins. No duplicate styles needed and the such.

I'm considering selling this one:

2020-10-29_10-34-01 by Chuck Miller, on Flickr

because this one is really enough:

2020-10-28_05-38-03 by Chuck Miller, on Flickr

Am I crazy???

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Am I crazy???

Not at all. For many of us it’s a cycle of indulgence and contrition.

The alternative is a state of perpetual indulgence - which now that I’ve written it sounds like the better option.

3. Likes Sedi, happyscrappyheropup, Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The alternative is a state of perpetual indulgence - which now that I’ve written it sounds like the better option.
    Our wonderful city of San Francisco would agree with you. For decades we have had a gay activist group called the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. They're kinda famous.

. Name:  sisters-of-perpetual-indugence.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  30.4 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

5. Likes happyscrappyheropup, Mystic Nerd liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Am I crazy???
    Totally..... Keep the blue one, sell the grey.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    ... sounds like the better option.
    Sounds like the expensive option, to me.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Our wonderful city of San Francisco would agree with you. For decades we have had a gay activist group called the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. They're kinda famous.

I know them through one of our local (deceased) celebrities, Derek Jarman. Jarman was an avant-garde film maker who spent his later years in a cottage at Dungeness, a place I know well.

Here he is being anointed as St Derek of The Order of Celluloid Knights of Dungeness -

Name:  7AB4E727-19AB-4F63-AD95-CBACC7B67179.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  56.1 KB

Mail reached him if addressed to ‘St Derek of Dungeness’.

And here he is at the cottage -

Name:  07703920-48E3-46C4-BA0E-0A1E2DE079C2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  87.6 KB

He remained at the cottage almost to the end, only leaving when he went blind as a result of HIV/AIDS. His grave is just down the road from me, at a little church on the marsh.

8. Likes skywatch, Sedi, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    I was never a fan of "slimming down". All the watches I sold, were sold to finance another one. And one day I decided to not sell any watches anymore. Maybe trade some from time to time against another one. Why would I be "satisfied"? That sounds like the hunt for the "exit watch". Do stamp collectors have an "exit stamp"? Nowadays I just sit back and enjoy the show and see with what type of watch-wishes my brain comes up next. Will it be digital, will it be analog? Will it be a Casio, a Seiko, a Timex? The only thing I try to avoid is buying expensive watches. Been there once -- the next one always had to be more expensive than the last -- but there are so many cheapo watches to choose from -- should be more than enough for me for one lifetime. Currently I have about 130 watches and they still fit in a a couple of shoeboxes. So even considering that my wife and I plan to maybe emigrate one day, the watches are no problem. The thousands of books are another matter altogether. Last time we moved, my wife and I spent a week in advance (before we moved the furniture) to transport all the boxes with books to the new house.
    Cheers, Sedi

10. Likes tribe125, Mystic Nerd liked this post
    I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'd definitely keep the blue and sell the other one.

Don't ask me. My collection is like the tides. Some go out and some come in. Lately nearly an equal number in each direction. Nearly 19 watches came in this year (if they actually come in for a few). Four of these are still awaiting arrival so actually 15 have arrived which is close to the 13 that left.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

For me, I don't tend to flip a lot. My focus is on two things: (1) have my needs/wants changed, causing me to want to change what I have; and (2) is the watch I'm interested in buying going to get enough wrist time to justify the purchase.

I went through a downsize a while back because my needs/wants changed--I retired, and now have few occasions for which very dressy watches are needed, so fewer of those and more sporty ones made sense. As for point 2, I really like what's in the collection now, and so a new acquisition has to be something that will be exciting enough to me to wrestle a reasonable amount of wrist time away from others.

14. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Don't ask me. My collection is like the tides. Some go out and some come in. Lately nearly an equal number in each direction. Nearly 19 watches came in this year (if they actually come in for a few). Four of these are still awaiting arrival so actually 15 have arrived which is close to the 13 that left.

I like your tide analogy.

Like some here, I try to keep my rotation of watches small There are several reasons which seem reasonable to me, but after I typed them out in a response to this thread they didn't seem as reasonable. So, I'll just say I enjoy wearing and sometimes flipping and don't have any emotional attachment to any things, watches included.