Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FC Slimline Moon 38.8mm

FC Slimline Moon 38.8mm

Good afternoon to everyone. I had taken a sustained hiatus from watches and watch buying in the past few months as my wife and I rescued a pup. He demanded all of our time and most of our money. This, coupled with the fact that I was feeling a stark dissatisfaction with my current collection, drove me to take a canine related sabbatical.

But alas! about 2 months ago I began feeling an itch that needed to be scratched. It is an itch that I have had, on and off, for some time; an itch that I had tried (and failed) to scratch long ago. This itch was a moonphase. But first, some background...

After deciding that an outdoor living space (see: patio) was an essential addition to our home, I parted ways with my Zenith 36'000 to fund the project - while saving a nice slice of the net to replace her in my collection. Thinking that now was the time for a moonphase to finally find it's way into my watchbox, I began looking for a piece of interest and importance. I quickly realized that the unique movements offered my some of our well-known Swiss and German friends were outside of my budget, thus I decided to delve into a world I hadn't before: vintage. The market for a vintage moonphase under 5000 USD is scarce. When you weed out those that have been polished or refinished, the offering is dismal. After a quick check of my desired traits in this piece, I went with the Leonidas Triple Date Moonphase. It arrived and I was in love with the patina of the dial and the smile on the moon. But this love quickly waned. The patina, though gorgeous, clashed with the stainless case. The applied markers were of a gold tone that didn't help matters, and so finally, I sold her. After that I looked long and hard at the 42mm FC slimline moon. I knew that 42mm was too big for my dainty wrists, but decided to try it on anyway.

Man, was I right. the biggest watch I owned then, and the biggest I still own now is 40mm, and even that is pushing it. The bezel of the FC was so thin, the watch wore closer to 44-45mm. So I 'settled' for a JLC Shadow Reverso.

Fast forward now to June of this year. I was lamenting my displeasure regarding the 42mm FCSLM to a dear friend, when I decided to take a peek at their website- who knows, maybe they were listening. As it turns out, they were. The wonderful folks at FC were scheduling the release of two new moonphase models, one in 40.5mm and one (an exact decedent of the SLM) in 38.8mm. I nearly fell off my chair. I immediately sold the JLC and have been waiting with the quid raised from the sale to pounce when the FC 703 became available in the States.

Yesterday was that day. I pulled the trigger and am expecting it tomorrow. I can hardly throttle my excitement. In any case, I felt that a thread and a thorough write-up would be apropos due to the seeming lack of awareness of these decadent new sizes. I'll be sure to have a generous unboxing and copious pictures tomorrow or friday. Until then, stay tuned.
    Life is better parenthetically.

Zenith - Rolex - Frédérique Constant - Nomos - Orient - Burberry

Quote Originally Posted by movet22 View Post
    Good afternoon to everyone. I had taken a sustained hiatus from watches and watch buying in the past few months as my wife and I rescued a pup. He demanded all of our time and most of our money. This, coupled with the fact that I was feeling a stark dissatisfaction with my current collection, drove me to take a canine related sabbatical.

But alas! about 2 months ago I began feeling an itch that needed to be scratched. It is an itch that I have had, on and off, for some time; an itch that I had tried (and failed) to scratch long ago. This itch was a moonphase. But first, some background...

After deciding that an outdoor living space (see: patio) was an essential addition to our home, I parted ways with my Zenith 36'000 to fund the project - while saving a nice slice of the net to replace her in my collection. Thinking that now was the time for a moonphase to finally find it's way into my watchbox, I began looking for a piece of interest and importance. I quickly realized that the unique movements offered my some of our well-known Swiss and German friends were outside of my budget, thus I decided to delve into a world I hadn't before: vintage. The market for a vintage moonphase under 5000 USD is scarce. When you weed out those that have been polished or refinished, the offering is dismal. After a quick check of my desired traits in this piece, I went with the Leonidas Triple Date Moonphase. It arrived and I was in love with the patina of the dial and the smile on the moon. But this love quickly waned. The patina, though gorgeous, clashed with the stainless case. The applied markers were of a gold tone that didn't help matters, and so finally, I sold her. After that I looked long and hard at the 42mm FC slimline moon. I knew that 42mm was too big for my dainty wrists, but decided to try it on anyway.

Man, was I right. the biggest watch I owned then, and the biggest I still own now is 40mm, and even that is pushing it. The bezel of the FC was so thin, the watch wore closer to 44-45mm. So I 'settled' for a JLC Shadow Reverso.

Fast forward now to June of this year. I was lamenting my displeasure regarding the 42mm FCSLM to a dear friend, when I decided to take a peek at their website- who knows, maybe they were listening. As it turns out, they were. The wonderful folks at FC were scheduling the release of two new moonphase models, one in 40.5mm and one (an exact decedent of the SLM) in 38.8mm. I nearly fell off my chair. I immediately sold the JLC and have been waiting with the quid raised from the sale to pounce when the FC 703 became available in the States.

Yesterday was that day. I pulled the trigger and am expecting it tomorrow. I can hardly throttle my excitement. In any case, I felt that a thread and a thorough write-up would be apropos due to the seeming lack of awareness of these decadent new sizes. I'll be sure to have a generous unboxing and copious pictures tomorrow or friday. Until then, stay tuned.
    I have subscribed to this thread, looking forward to the pics..

Oh and congrats!

3. Likes Colin liked this post
    Yup - I'm looking forward to this one too. I like FC's approach to affordable elegance.

Looking forward to the pictures. I love FC, but the 43mm cases were always too big for me.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Ah wow! I tried the 42mm watch on at salon qp and it was lovely but way too big - I told the rep that if they made a <40mm that I'd buy it! Glad to hear they listened. Stock image Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1438808439119.png
Views: 98
Size:  88.9 KB
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Ah wow! I tried the 42mm watch on at salon qp and it was lovely but way too big - I told the rep that if they made a <40mm that I'd buy it! Glad to hear they listened. Stock image Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1438808439119.png
Views: 98
Size:  88.9 KB
    Never really been a fan of moon phases but that was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Never really been a fan of moon phases but that was nice.
    It is. It would be *even* better with a second hand, but hey ho - no such thing as the perfect watch right?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

9. Likes Colin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by movet22 View Post
    Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei.
    Really like your signature by the way (on tapatalk normally so hadn't seen it before). One of my favourite German sentences.

Blog Entries
    I do like the artfully designed moon-phase, and I have a handful of them. I think 39mm is a perfect size for a modern formal watch (I don't mind smaller for that matter.) This sounds like a winner. I hope they sell a bunch of them.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Wow great news! The 42mm was just too big, this will look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk