Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday present to myself

Birthday present to myself

Hi guys,
    my b'day was two days ago and I finally have the time to post a thread about my present to myself. I have this agreement with my wife that we don't give each other gifts for our birthdays or at xmas - so as usual I bought my birthday watch myself .
    I bought something that I liked since it was released - a very familiar module in a nice stainless steel case with standard lugs - a big plus for me in the summer as I only can wear nylon straps when it's so hot - I just sweat too much under the resin straps and standard lugs make things way easier - I don't like to fiddle around with those awkward adapters that ruin the look of most Gs and are a pain to install.
    Since it was something special I took a bunch of pics and what will follow is a very tedious unwrapping thread - at least for those who don't like them - well, I do - so here it comes:

Nice - never had this type of tin before:

And here it is:

Anybody notice the model, yet?
    It's an LCW-M300:

It's a real beauty IMO - nice size and could be worn with a suit and tie as I intend to do - if my job-plans work out I'll soon never have to wear a suit and tie ever again so I'm glad it looks equally good with jeans .
    But first - remove the bracelet as I don't really like bracelets at all:

The look from the side is interesting as it reminds me a little of an Omega Speedmaster from that angle because of the gap between bezel and case - the bezel looks like a separate part but I think the case is machined from one piece of steel:

The lugs are 20mm - this one is the only strap that seemed to look any good on the watch but I ordered a two-piece nylon strap from eBay - hope it gets here today so I will update the thread with a new picture:

And some pics on the wrist - displaying the "GET"-display on the next one as the watch hadn't synced since April - it was running a little fast - too bad I forgot to check by how much:

Kind of hard to photograph as it's so shiny:

And one outside on the balcony:

Some specs for those not familiar with the model or module:
    Module No. is 5110 and it's a variation of the famous 5064 first used in the GW-2500 and later in the GW-3500 and with some variations in the MTG-1500 and ECW-M300. The 5110 lacks the 2nd analog dial which indicated another timezone on the GW-2500. But that cleans up the dial and adds to the dressy look. Besides you could still have the 2nd timezone displayed with current time in the WT-mode.
    The little analog dial at "9" indicates the mode, battery status and if the watch is receiving a signal.
    The watch has WT-mode, STW, timer and the usual 4+snooze alarm mode incl. SIG.
    STW goes up to 24hrs however timer is only 60 min but can be set to repeat 8 times. The no. of repeats can not be changed however - you can either set repeat to "on" or "off" - that's it. Good enough for most purposes however.
    Alarm volume is average - IMO a little softer than on the GW-2500 which might result from the steel case or geometry of the case and/or size of the piezo speaker.
    The buttons work nice and are easy to press - the watch lacks a beep when changing modes - but the mode is indicated by the movement of the sub-dial - on a Casio sound and movement often don't work together - same as light and sound - so as not to put too much strain on the battery.
    The worldtime mode has one minor flaw that almost all solar/atomic Casios seem to have - the DST-settings for the worldtime mode are pre-programmed - when setting DST to "ON" or "AUTO" - after a sync the DST gets activated for all the city codes in WT-mode of the continent you're on that were observing DST when the module was made - Moscow just recently gave up using DST so the DST-setting for Moscow is wrong in WT-mode. IMO a minor flaw that I can live with.
    The case diameter without the buttons and the protrusions at the side is around 39mm. Height is 17mm. Lug-to-lug is 47mm. The watch wears very comfy with a nice heft to it.
    Lume is OK for a Casio - better than on the GW-2500 but I didn't have much chance of testing it properly - have to wait till I wake up in the middle of the night .
    So far I'm very happy with the watch - looks like a keeper. And a steel-cased ana-digi with solar and atomic was missing in my collection. Price can't be beat either - considering what you'd have to pay for a similar feature set from another manufacturer - if you find one that is. Either Junghans or Citizen might have similar offerings but at a very different price point.
    So the LCW-M300 is a strong buy for all those looking for a slightly dressier solar/atomic ana-digi.
    Cheers, Sedi

At first: congrats to your birthday Philipp !
    Second: congrats to your new Casio.

That one looks really dressy and sporty. Elegant case shape.

But I am amazed regarding the height of 17mm
    I would not have expected this.
    Regards Phil

★★

3. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Oops, you're correct. I measured incorrectly. It's only 12mm.

5. Likes Der Amf, deCompression liked this post
    happy b/day and great watch yes indeed
    one night I dreamed I was locked in my fathers watch, with Ptolemy and twenty one ruby stars mounted on spheres and the primum mobile coiled and gleaming to the end of space and the notched spheres eating each other's rinds to the last tooth of time and the case closed - John Ciardi ...

https://emgwatches.com/
    http://www.instagram.com/iyonk_strap/
    http://wristwatchreview.co.uk/

ЖИЗНЬ НЕ ОСТАНАВЛИВАЕТСЯ, ПРОХОДИТ ТОЛЬКО ВРЕМЯ.
    Russian Watches

"The buttons work nice and are easy to press - the watch lacks a beep when changing modes"

Do the buttons beep when doing other things?

bighead
    Happy Birthday, Sedi. I like the looks of that. But the shiny may be too shiny for me. The strap makes it look more rugged, though. Nice pick up!!

Mike

@itmw
    @amf
    No, they don't. Starting the timer or stopwatch makes no sound either.

10. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    @bajachild
    Thanks. The ECW-M300 would be a good alternative with a less dressy look.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    @itmw
    @amf
    No, they don't. Starting the timer or stopwatch makes no sound either.
    Thank you. Interesting...

Its a very handsome watch

Congrats and happy birthday.